Water in fuel alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in fuel alarm

Just recommissioned for the season. 2- 115 4 strokes. New water/fuel separators and new under cowling filters in bowl with water sensing switch.

About 45 minutes into shakedown, alarm on starboard engine goes off (water in fuel). Stop, empty bowl reinstall move onward. Alarm reactivates. Repeat process. Today removed unit, cleaned with carb cleaner made sure float moves freely. Reassemble. Same deal.

My take is that there is a malfunction of this switch. Both motors pull from the same fuel tank. Alarm is only on the one motor.

Any opinions???? Oh, and can I run it and just ignore the alarm until I fix it?

Are you seeing actual water in the fuel filter cup? If no, I would suspect a failing switch.

You can simply disconnect the switch and continue to operate the motor without the false alarm sounding if you are certain there is no water in the fuel filter cup.

Comment

I thought the water in fuel filter alarm only sounded while in neutral on Yamahas, or was that something else I was thinking about

Comment

I didn't see water in the cup. I did disconnect the wire at my dock while idling in neutral and the alarm didn't reset. I'll mess with it again (hopefully tomorrow) and check back.

Comment

So are you are saying you got a water in fuel alarm while running in gear on one of your motors, and it did not sound on the other one?
          are you sure which motor got the alarm and it happened in gear and out?
          Last edited by 99yam40; 05-26-2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

It was at idle while I was turning around in a marina. May have kicked on when I went through neutral to reverse. That I am uncertain. What I am certain of is, no water in the gas. Emptied bowl again into a jar. Switched bowl to the other motor and it went off on that one. Did not sound on the original one. So I'm guessing one of them is bad. (which one hmmmmm?) I am going to take a cruise this afternoon, we'll see....

Comment

Yes, horn only sounds in neutral. Indicator on gauge blinks constant. I'm going to figure the bowl/switch is bad and just replace it.

Comment

yes if the switch sets off the alarm with no water in the bowl and moves with the bowl to other motor, then sounds like you have found the problem

Comment

Working...
                X