F150 cleaning under the cowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 cleaning under the cowl

Is it acceptable practice to do any fresh water spray cleaning of engine components - under the cowl ? I've noticed some salt corrosion starting on my fuel rail. fuel pump fasteners, etc. Also notice salt crystals collecting in areas that are tough to access with a dampened rag. How do you guys handle removal of salt residue ?

Thanks, JB
    '87 Outrage 18, '04 F150
    '97 SeaArk 15, F25

With common sense of what you're spraying at and how hard, sure. You might want to try a product like Salt Away (there's others, too)... even white vinegar. Once you get it clean, keep it that way - use a good protectant like Boeshield. There's other good spray protectants out there, too... WD40 is NOT one of them.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks Dennis,

Yes, I've used Boeshield and an OMC product that has the same sort of waxy characteristics ....... this engine is primarily used in fresh water, so salt is not a constant deal , but I'd like to be able to flush away the residue after trips to the coast.

JB
      '87 Outrage 18, '04 F150
      '97 SeaArk 15, F25

Comment

An old toothbrush and a can of spray oil/lubricant/ protectant on all the areas that seem to be getting corrosion...then just leave it on there...

Comment

I use LPS2: http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/561 for spraying under the hood. Someone posted another #LP that's better yet.

My engine was new when I bought it and using the LPS2, still looks new, and that's with salt water use... Good stuff..

As I just ordered a "Salt Away" kit, (waiting on it) I just called Salt Away re flushing out Salt Away after application or leave it in the engine after using it. Its best to leave the soapy product in the engine to keep working, don't flush out with fresh water.

Also, it can be used under the cowl carefully to remove salt deposits that build up over time. It does have a coating that protects the metal until salt water gets to it again...
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-26-2016, 05:29 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Hmm - OK , I think I have seen that stuff - will give it a try .
            '87 Outrage 18, '04 F150
            '97 SeaArk 15, F25

Comment

Working...
            X