40ETLK runs fine, may cut off at idle, wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40ETLK runs fine, may cut off at idle, wont start

Hello I am new to the forum. I recently purchased a 16' Carolina Skiff with a Yamaha 40ETLK 2-stroke outboard motor. According to the marine shop where I bought the boat all three carbs have been cleaned. The engine starts easlily. On the water the motor runs good. Saturday i ran the boat for two hours, slowed the engine to idle speed and it cut off after idling two of three minutes. Engine would not restart. I took the boat back to the shop where I bought it. Monday morning the boat start fine on the hose. All clamps in the fuel line were checked and are secure. Monday night I took the boat out, I ran the engine for about 45 min to an hour. Cut it back to idle, engine didnt cut out, problem solved, right.WRONG! Took the boat to the ramp, tied it up, cut it off, put the trailer in the water. Went back to boat..Motor will not start. Tried priming, choking, nothing happened. Boat had only been off about 30 min. Luckily mechanic was there, hooked it to the hose and she started right up. He was able to recreate the problem sort of by messing with choke toggle. Any ideas? I suggested disconnecting magnetic choke arm.

need test to see if there is spark when it will not start.
    if it does then see if it is getting too much fuel or not enough

Comment

What do you mean by "messing with the choke toggle".

Either the choke is engaged (manually using the knob or electrically using the key switch/choke toggle switch) or it is not. If engaged when the motor is hot the motor may be hard to start. If not engaged when the motor is cold the motor may be hard to start.

Are you mechanically inclined? If so, remove the intake silencer and inspect the choke mechanism and choke plates. See if the choke plates close when you pull the choke knob out. Do they all open when you push the choke knob in? Likewise when you press the choke toggle switch and then release it.

When the motor fails to start hot, have you tried opening the throttle about half way and then engaging the starter switch to see if it starts or not? If you do this be prepared to close the throttle immediately once the motor starts.

Comment

Going to put in the water tomorrow. A marine mechanic will be with me. The plan is to get the motor hot turn it off and see if it will start. If it does not we can check the spark right then.
        Messing with the choke...The mechanic hooked the motor to a hose and was able to recreate the/a "no start" by using the choke toggle. Everything sounded the same, exactly the way it is when Im having the "no start" problem. He doesnt seem to think the choke is the problem. I know a switch whether toggle or electric will go bad. It may be original and 31 years old. Tomorrow before putting the boat in the water I will disconnect the arm on the electric choke. My mind keeps telling me a hot motor wont crank when choked.
        Thanks for the responses.

Comment

I'll ignore the "won't crank when choked" comment, but I have to ask why, if you are going out to troubleshoot, would you introduce another variable by disconnecting the choke before you go out? I suggest you recreate the problem and then start making changes, one thing at a time.

Comment

You disconnect it before you go out there is a good chance you will not get it to start cold

to most the word crank means turn over.
            maybe you need to use start or fire up next time if that is what you are talking about
            Last edited by 99yam40; 05-17-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Boscoe thanks for the answer, I will follow your advice.

Comment

Working...
              X