Repower from 90TLR to VF115LA - Size and Performance Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repower from 90TLR to VF115LA - Size and Performance Questions

I am considering a repower on my 1806 Pathfinder. I currently have a 2007 90TLR and top out between 33-37 WOT @ 5200-5400 RPM depending on the load.

I have a couple questions:

I have a poling platform so clearance with a bigger motor is a concern. Here are some pictures of my setup. The motor is all the way jacked up on the jack plate in the photo. I can trim the motor all the way up with the jack plate up with about an inch of clearance. I am having trouble finding detailed measurements on the VF115LA to figure out if I have enough clearance for this repower.

This is the only spec sheet I could find on the 115:

Without having exact measurements, do you guys think the 115 would fit? I would be ok with the setup even if I could only trim all the way up with the jack plate down. Would I be able to remove the cowling under the poling platform?

Next question is how much of a performance improvement could I expect with this setup? I will probably keep this hull for a while and figure I could probably get about $3500 for the 90. Its a 2007 with less than 200hr on it and runs like a top.

I will try and update this post with some measurements of the clearance on my boat. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rick Harb; 05-17-2016, 11:01 AM.

A few more photos of my setup:

Comment

"I am having trouble finding detailed measurements on the VF115LA"

Don't forget to consider the weight difference.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the diagram.

Understood on the weight difference (which is about 100lbs).

Cost benefit of weight v. performance is definitely part of my decision making process. I don't want to the boat to squat too much although I wouldn't necessarily mind losing an inch of draft.

The 90 is a great motor and 30-35mph isn't bad (especially on a windy day) but its pretty darn loud and I wouldnt mind pushing into the 40s when its glassy out there.

Comment

find the Yamaha Performance Bulletins to see what kind of stats they give on a rig like yours with a F115

there is some differences in power range of those motors, so do the research

Comment

Sounds like you've got a pretty darn ideal set up with that 90HP 2 stroke on there....for the extra weight and the money maybe just stand pat with that hand....

Comment

Plug in your current motor and the 115 and see the difference.

Outboard Performance, Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards

IT also appears that jack plate will lower, what approx 5"?

I'd bet I could get the cowl off my F150 with the room you have with
              the jack plate lowered...Looking again, heck my F150 would fit and tilt W/O issue.

The extra weight sucks but your fuel usage will easily be half....

Just for an idea, on a 20'4" hull:
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-17-2016, 06:37 PM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Once you have the four stroke you will wonder why you waited so long.

Remember, there are two types of four stroke owners. Those that have tried to start it when it is already runnibg and those that will try to start it when it is already running.

Don't forget to turn the motor off before pulling the boat out of the water.

Comment

I know there is a smudge somewhere on that boat......

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Especially regarding the Yamaha performance bulletins.

Best I can tell, I should expect to gain around 10mph with the 115.

Now who's got advice on how to convince the wife. I've already tapped out the asking forgiveness over permission angle...

Comment

Real men don't ask wives.

Only girly men ask wives for forgiveness.

Man up and be a man. The boat and motor will still love you when the wives have moved on down the road.

The F115 will be so quiet the wives won't even know to ask about it. They might say something like "it sure is quiet on the boat. I like that".

You can always play the "I did this to protect your hearing darling" card.

Comment

I used to think the same way until I watched my friend's wife leave. He's now half the man he once was....on paper anyways.
                        Last edited by Rick Harb; 05-19-2016, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Harb View Post
                          I used to think the same way until I watched my boss' wife leave. He's now half the man he once was....on paper anyways.
                          To quote Richard Pryor I believe it was,

"the wife left and when she did she took half the money and all of the pusssy".

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            To quote Richard Pryor I believe it was,

"the wife left and when she did she took half the money and all of the pusssy".
                            Literally LOL! Scared the cat!!!
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                            X