Adding kicker to charging system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding kicker to charging system

I would like to add the charging output of a 2005 F8, to an existing 1999 F100 system that has two batteries. Currently, the two batts are connected through an ACR, so there's a starting batt and a house batt.

So the big question is if the regulator/rectifiers of these two motors are able to handle this situation? I've read that newer motors have no problem with this arrangement, but what about these two? What defines "newer"?

I would be connecting the kicker output to the same post on the main switch as the F100, so as to utilize the functionality of the ACR. The ultimate goal would be to help maintain charge on the house battery, so an alternate connection, and possibly better connection would be to connect the kicker straight to the house battery, with a fuse.

I've read lots of opinion about this, nothing seems definitive. Some say yes, not problem, "do it all the time". Others say no way, you'll get smoke and flames, or at the very least, place undue stress on the R/Rs.

Thanks for any help,
    Jeff

I would not bother as the kicker charging output is just about irrelavent.
    however if you must fuse it with a fuse sized no more than 5 amps over the kickers output and go to the house battery.
    if current draw much exceeds the R/R output it typically fries the r/r.

remember the kicker output is typically at WOT and even then its not much.

Comment

I agree , if diodes or some other way of keeping the main motors output from back feeding into the kickers RR is not taken it would probably let the magic smoke out

Comment

we have that R?R issue here a lot with crabbers.
        they have a motor that at low speeds may put out 15 amps.
        typically 1 battery.
        that battery is also hooked to an electric pot puller that can draw over 100 amps.
        after 30 40 pots and low speed operation for a couple hours the battery is getting low.
        now he hits the puller switch and the system is overwhelmed by the amperage draw and the poor R/R simply melts.

Comment

Working...
        X