What are these connectors for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these connectors for?

See attached images - there are two connectors coming off of a switch harness. Motor is a 2005(?) 225 manufactured 11/05 with 69J X 1018505

Female connector - 4 wires; white/red, black/white, red/green, green

Male connector - 4 wires; black, gray, pink, light brown

FYI I don't have any Yamaha instruments on the boat. I do have a set of Faria; tach, speedo, trim, fuel.

Just curious - and hoping these are for yamaha instruments.
    Attached Files

On my 2005 F225 - those two connectors are the harness for the Yamaha "Multifunction" Tach
    (although actually only one is used)

never having seen how its done, I am curious what connects your Faria guages to the engine!

Last edited by fairdeal; 05-04-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

As fairwind notes those are the connectors from which various engine signals are sent to Yamaha gauges. The tachometer signal is not included however. It goes from the motor to the instruments via a separate path.

Not sure where your trim gauge is getting its source information. Perhaps they used the connector (a different one) that is coming directly from the trim sender.

With Yamaha gauges it is possible for oil system status (two stroke) low oil pressure (four stroke), water in fuel warning, over temperature, trim information, check engine status, and other bits of information to be conveyed via those wires and connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        As fairwind notes those are the connectors from which various engine signals are sent to Yamaha gauges. The tachometer signal is not included however. It goes from the motor to the instruments via a separate path.

Not sure where your trim gauge is getting its source information. Perhaps they used the connector (a different one) that is coming directly from the trim sender.

With Yamaha gauges it is possible for oil system status (two stroke) low oil pressure (four stroke), water in fuel warning, over temperature, trim information, check engine status, and other bits of information to be conveyed via those wires and connectors.

So can I connect command link to the connector(s) if so which one? I assume besides the commandlink guage I'll need a small harness? or does it come with one.

Comment

Originally posted by captn tj View Post
          So can I connect command link to the connector(s) if so which one? I assume besides the commandlink guage I'll need a small harness? or does it come with one.
          Those connectors have nothing to do with Command Link. How did Command Link come up?

The connectors are for analog gauges. Either needle and dial type or digital display multi-function gauge.

Your specific model motor is pre Command Link. Or so Yamaha says.
          Last edited by boscoe99; 05-04-2016, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Your specific model motor is pre Command Link. Or so Yamaha says.

Yes, but if I'm reading the parts listing correctly, any engine built between 0405 and 0406 would have the -31 ECU

and we know that has full N2K functionality !

and apparently they were already using the wiring harness w/ the "Command Link plug" when my engine was built in 11/04

So - from the little I know - seems the Cap'n has a good chance to be "Command Link capable"

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
              Yes, but if I'm reading the parts listing correctly, any engine built between 0405 and 0406 would have the -31 ECU

and we know that has full N2K functionality !

and apparently they were already using the wiring harness w/ the "Command Link plug" when my engine was built in 11/04

So - from the little I know - seems the Cap'n has a good chance to be "Command Link capable"
              Only the Cap'n will know what ECU is installed and what harness he has. How is it known when his motor was made? An F225TXRD could have been made in 2004 as a 2005 model year motor.

Parts catalog shows his PID as having a -30-00 ECU.

I still am confused about Command Link coming up when we were talking about connectors for conventional gauges. Seems the subject got changed with little to no advance warning.
              Last edited by boscoe99; 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Parts catalog shows his PID as having a -30-00 ECU.
                Having the benefit of ignorance as to decipher a PID,

I took him at his word when he stated "manufactured 11/05"

Comment

Ok my bad I was confusing commandlink with gauges. I currently have as previously stated Faria gauges that are analog. Was hoping that the unused connectors would plug into yamaha gauges that would provide additional info.

Also based on some replies looks like maybe 40/60 or 50/50 chance of ecu that provides n2k info?

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                    Having the benefit of ignorance as to decipher a PID,

I took him at his word when he stated "manufactured 11/05"
                    Something is not adding up.

I believe his model to be an F225TXRD. This is the model that came up when I plugged his complete serial number into the search box at the top of the Yamaha parts catalog page.

http://yamahamc.partsandwarranty.com/SyndicateNav.cfm

Try it and see.

The next Yamaha F225 model offered (an F225TXR) shows a production date of 0405 which tells me the F225TXRD was made before that date. The F225TXRD is shown as having a -30-00 ECU. I don't believe the OP's motor was made in 11/05. But...

His F225 clearly has two of the ivory coloured four pin trim oil connectors. If it were made in 1105 I think it would have had just one of the connectors since Yamaha changed these at this time.

Remember, we have little to go on. So much is being done with so little that soon we will be able to do everything with absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by captn tj View Post
                      Ok my bad I was confusing commandlink with gauges. I currently have as previously stated Faria gauges that are analog. Was hoping that the unused connectors would plug into yamaha gauges that would provide additional info.

Also based on some replies looks like maybe 40/60 or 50/50 chance of ecu that provides n2k info?
                      They will.

Look at your ECU. What dash number does it have?

Look at your main engine harness. Can you find a connector that looks like the one here? Not your motor but the connector will be just like it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yama...23D0v1ifS9M%3A

Comment

They will.

Look at your ECU. What dash number does it have?

Look at your main engine harness. Can you find a connector that looks like the one here? Not your motor but the connector will be just like it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yama...23D0v1ifS9M%3A
                        Thanks Boscoe will do!

Comment

Working...
                        X