Yamaha 115 4-stroke - goes out of gear in rough seas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 115 4-stroke - goes out of gear in rough seas

A Yamaha 115 4-stroke that goes out of gear when in rough seas. It's on a 20' Aquasport that is a rough ride in general. This is intermittent, and when the speed is reduced - it goes back in gear fine. We're not sure what to look at that could be the problem. I've searched through the posts and found similar posts pointing to the lower unit. Is there anyone that has possibly seen this type of a problem before? Another problem is a very tight shift linkage that is hard to go from fwd to rev and sometimes we miss neutral while maneuvering. Could this be related? Any suggestions and help is much appreciated.

Take the hood off and check the shift cable hold-down clamp is in place around both the shift cable and the throttle cable. Then pop the shift cable end off the motor's shift linkage pin (just remove the cotter pin and lift it off...). Put the motor's shift pin in exact neutral, spin the prop by hand to make sure there's no interference or clicking between gears. Make sure the console throttle control is in it's exact neutral detent too. Adjust the cable end so that it just drops over the motor's shift linkage pin with no interference on either side. Replace the retaining cotter pin and you should be done.
    Also check the gear oil level and that it doesn't smell burnt. I use Mobil One synthetic gear oil in my motors. But you can't go wrong with just using Yamaha's gear oil either. Good luck, hope this helps.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike - we will look into that.

Comment

Working...
      X