Did I have 2 alarms at the same time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I have 2 alarms at the same time?

Hi guys, new to the forum, not new to Yamaha. I am avid believer in Yamaha engines. My 1st boat had one and every boat since has. They have been incredibly reliable. I would also like to comment that this forum looks to be very informative.

I have twin 2002 Yamaha 200hp HPDI engines. Last weekend after putting in we were idling out of the landing area which is about a 1/4 mile idle. About half way we get an alarm on the port engine. We cut that engine off and idled out on the starboard engine. We sat for about 20 minutes. Started the engines and no alarm. We cruised around the area for about 10 minutes at WOT and then the alarm came back, on the port engine. Put it on the trailer and went home. I figured out that oil was not being pumped from the port side reservoir to the main tank. The manual switch would pump oil into the main. I switched the reservoir and main tank cap/gauge from the starboard engine to the port engine and there was no change. I emptied the starboard main tank and it was pumping fine with the reservoir and main tank gauge that I moved over from the port engine. After much searching I found the ground wire pinched right where the harness comes into the engine on the port side. I repaired that wire and the alarm was gone. Or so I thought. We put in yesterday and about half way out of the landing we get the alarm again. We shut if off and let it set for about 20 minutes. We then started the engine with no alarm. We run all over the lake. Probably about 20 miles with no problems, no alarms. The boat ran the fastest it has since I have owned it. Idling back into the landing area about half way and the alarm comes back. I shut the engine off and put it on the trailer.

My question is. Did I have an oil alarm(that I fixed) and a temperature alarm at the same time and I still have the temp. alarm? At the end of last season I didn't like the pee stream from either motor so I replaced the impellers and poppet valves on both motors. Both motors have a much better stream than they did at the end of last year. From my understanding this has the classic signs of a poppet valve being bad. Does that sound like a PV to you guys and if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks

Bobby

1st thing to do is look at the gauges to see what they are telling you when the alarm happens.
    if no gauges then a lap top with the proper software should show you what has been going on.

Comment

Will there be a black line at the temp. icon on the gauge if it is a temp. issue?

Comment

It is all depicted in your owner's manual. See page 2-11.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-04-63_546.pdf

Comment

My boat has a 3 gauge set. One is like the one in the manual, with temp., battery, oil, fuel. The other 2 have oil, tach, and trim. Is that a normal set up? I am not sure if these are the OE gauges or not. The boat has been repowered.

Comment

The question is, if you have the tachometer depicted in the illustration below, was the lcd bar above the over temperature icon flashing at the time of the alarm?

Comment

Originally posted by vafisher View Post
              Will there be a black line at the temp. icon on the gauge if it is a temp. issue?
              Yes, there will be a black line above the temperature icon on the tachometer if it is an over temperature event. The black line (bar) will be blinking. Just like the owner's manual says.

Comment

I will hopefully get to check that this evening. The one thing that I am not sure about though is that the gauge that has the temp icon is only powered when the starboard engine key is turned. The port engine is the one with the alarm. So the port side ignition only powers it's own gauge that only has tach, oil, and trim. The starboard ignition powers 2 gauges. Does this sound like a proper hook up and if so, would the gauge with the temp on it be tied to both engines?

Comment

I found time to take the boat out yesterday. I waited until I was out of the no wake zone to start the motor and it ran great for a long time. When I got back to the no wake zone the alarm came on after idling for about 300 feet. The gauge didn't change. I am not sure the gauge is even hooked to that motor. So obviously the gauge isn't going to tell me anything. What would be the next thing to do?

Comment

Does the temp. alarm time out? The alarm that I am getting eventually cuts off. I had ordered a poppet valve, so I replaced it this evening. I am going to take the boat out tomorrow if the weather is decent.

Comment

I found time to take the boat out yesterday. I waited until I was out of the no wake zone to start the motor and it ran great for a long time. When I got back to the no wake zone the alarm came on after idling for about 300 feet. The gauge didn't change. I am not sure the gauge is even hooked to that motor. So obviously the gauge isn't going to tell me anything. What would be the next thing to do?
                      Hook up the gauges properly.

need to find out what alarm is happening

Comment

Does the temp. alarm time out? The alarm that I am getting eventually cuts off. I had ordered a poppet valve, so I replaced it this evening. I am going to take the boat out tomorrow if the weather is decent.
                        alarm should sound as long as the alarm condition is there

Comment

I changed the poppet valve in the motor yesterday. Fairly easy thing to do. We took the boat out this evening and it ran really well. It was peeing quite a bit better than before at WOT. We idled it around for about thirty minutes, and I noticed that it wasn't peeing quite as good as the starboard engine but wasn't bad. No alarm for the entire idle until we got ready to put it on the trailer and the alarm went off. So it did idle a whole lot longer before the alarm but obviously there is still a problem.

Comment

As a part of routine maintenance I replaced the thermostats on both engines. The thermostats looked really bad and one of them on the engine that was alarming was stuck open. I have no clue how this could affect the alarm but I went out and idled for a good 30 minutes and no alarm. So, I am going to assume for now that it is fixed. Thanks to all that replied.

Comment

As a part of routine maintenance I replaced the thermostats on both engines. The thermostats looked really bad and one of them on the engine that was alarming was stuck open. I have no clue how this could affect the alarm but I went out and idled for a good 30 minutes and no alarm. So, I am going to assume for now that it is fixed. Thanks to all that replied.
                              Yes, stuck open... The thermostat is working but is jamming. So quite conceivable that it is jamming trying to open - to let water in to cool a rising in temperature engine, but it is not doing it quick enough, hence the alarm.

Just an explanation of what might have been happening. Normally a faulty thermostat fails to open because the "wax" has leaked out and therefore not able to push against the spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X