Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would the starter relay be located?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
    My F225 uses the same part - I saw it for the first time a few days ago -

quite the project "burrowing down" to reach it...

Very interesting part! -

but clearly "no user serviceable parts inside"
    Mine wasn't hard to get to (once I knew where it was at). It did take me easily 15 minutes with an air powered disc grinder to get it apart (extremely stout!)

BTW, With the cover off (covering the relay), you can simply (with a heavier gauge wire), "jumper" past the relay and activate the starter if need be. I now carry a short piece of heavy gauge wire (besides jumper cables) in the on board tool box...

I also keep the shop manual on board(sealed up) and a PDF manual on the lap top.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

dude
      if your showing 9 volts between the switch lug and the positive battery terminal you just found most your problem
      fuggit about relays and crap.
      that relay wont work without the correct operating voltage which you aint got.
      fix your connections and go play.

Comment

Tempting to run all new battery wiring. I will start with the little 4ft run and see if there is an improvement. Thanks

Comment

Ended up with a bad connection at the terminals at the back of boat in bilge area. Checked once, looked fine and then actually tested it. There you go...seems like we all try to over complicate these things...

Comment

BASIC'S always first. Alot of things can "look good" till you put a wrench on it, etc, on it and actually check...

Folks say carbs "clean". Did you pull the jets out and look thru them? Ah no, The it ain't clean...

Anyway, glad you found it without dropping a bunch of $ on parts you didn't need..

Just a side note, ANY ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR, battery terminal, etc I take apart, it gets a coat of dielectric grease. Keeps later similar issues from happening later...
            Scott

Comment

dielectric grease is an insulator not a conductor of electricity

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                here we go.

insert ROTFLMAO or possibly "headbanging" icon here....

Comment

the grease is there to keep the moisture and O2 out to slow down the corrosion. the metal to metal connection squeezes the grease out to make a good connection

Comment

Google up do's and don'ts of dielectric grease. If all your trying to do is keep moisture and corrosion out, any marine grease can do that.

Comment

I use something called NoOxide grease
                      It is what we used when putting DC battery banks together to protect connections from the fumes, acid, and moisture on top of batteries. it lasts a lot longer that just regular grease and is stiffer when cooled off( almost like a wax)

Comment

Its sure is!

I don't want a conductor of electricity SHORTING OUT a connecting plug, (with many wires in it).

Try it sometime, works great!

As noted above, keeps the connectors from O2, corrosion, etc from corroding.
                        Been using it for decades in that manner...
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X