fuel filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel filter

I have a 2007 150 Yamaha 4 stroke and I am trying to change the fuel filter on the front of the engine. I can not seem to loosen the clear bulb containing the filter element. HELP

There is a tool for that, be careful it will break. Also when you do get it off, might have to let it sit overnight before you can get it back on. The plastic swells up from the fuel additives.

Comment

A small dab of grease on the threads can make it come off more easily....and just hand tighten it enough to engage that O-ring....

Comment

some have wrote that taking the whole thing off,draining the fuel out, and then putting in a freezer can help get it loose

Comment

+1 on cooling / shrinking it ^^^^.

Once your done (and its off) and re-assembling, make sure it goes on fully and seats with the 0-ring. I have a slightly different set up(no water electronic switch in the bottom) so my cup just goes straight up and a large plastic nut holds it on place.

Your cup is well over $100, my plain one is about $10.00 which I've changed out twice due to swelling..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-28-2016, 08:31 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

A 2007 F150 was delivered with a 6P3-WS24B-00-00 cup. Known to swell in the presence of ethanol.

Latest cup is a 6P3-WS24B-03-00. Might be time for an upgrade to reduce the aggravation level when trying to remove it to replace the filter.

Comment

Zip Tie Question

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              +1 on cooling / shrinking it ^^^^.

Once your done (and its off) and re-assembling, make sure it goes on fully and seats with the 0-ring. I have a slightly different set up(no water electronic switch in the bottom) so my cup just goes straight up and a large plastic nut holds it on place.

Your cup is well over $100, my plain one is about $10.00 which I've changed out twice due to swelling..

I'll call them zip ties for this question......Are the zip ties used to secure the fuel lines on the engine fuel filter anything special? Do I need to use some special rated type or will any old zip tie work?

Comment

I believe, those zip ties, Yamaha OEM, have a curvature INSIDE where a normal zip tie would be flat.

Slightly better sealing, especially around a small diameter such as a fuel line.
                Scott

Comment

Makes sense on the ties. Other than fuel separator I haven't had to do anything fuel related, yet. Don't want to blow the cowling off the motor like "transmission stop leak fluid" guy was talking about a few weeks ago. But I need to change that filter and I might as well put it freezer because I have never touched it... Gives me a reason to go to fav boat supply store too, NOT west marine btw

Comment

That filter is yamaha specific, so you need the correct one.

I can about gaurentee that cup has swelled. I don't use ethonol and still get some swelling.

Just make sure, you get the cup fully back up there and the 0-ring seated.

If yours is like mine, there's a RED plastic RING, that's supposed to float if water is inside. It IS a PIA as it just barely slips around the lower filter and likes (really likes), to fall off while trying to install it.

I've found slipping the filter / ring up there first, THEN install the cup works the easiest...

And put a rag stretched out at the bottom to catch anything...

You shouldn't need any zip ties at all for changing that fuel filter and /or cup..
                    Scott

Comment

he will if he wants to put it in the freezer, as he will need to remove the whole thing from the motor.

hard to get the whole motor in the freezer.

do not forget to drain the fuel out the best you can before putting in plastic freezer bag and then into freezer unless you want the good old gas smell all over inside where your food goes

Comment

Hmmff. Yeah I rekon I need to protect the Reds and trout left from last fall. There is a little pressure in that line when I unscrew the water sep filter. Rather catch that in bilge than have spray in engine pan. On the list anyhow. Still need to run isolator line....

Comment

Some flounder in one of those bags somewhere, no cuda though Postis....not yet anyway....

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            he will if he wants to put it in the freezer, as he will need to remove the whole thing from the motor.

hard to get the whole motor in the freezer.

do not forget to drain the fuel out the best you can before putting in plastic freezer bag and then into freezer unless you want the good old gas smell all over inside where your food goes
                            I believe you ONLY need to freeze the cup and shrink that down. The main mount DOES NOT SWELL. I've replaced the cup several times and the new cup fits easily..

And a yea, I don't think the entire engine would fit in the freezer, great deduction..
                            Scott

Comment

if he cannot get the cup off, that is when the whole filter would go into the freezer

Comment

Working...
                              X