Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning buzzer comes on

2004 Yamaha OX66 150 HP

I have fuel, oil and water pressure and TTL is peeing. Was running across the bay and all was good for 7 miles. Then out of no where the damn warning buzzer comes on. Not sure why.

I have a VRO and was wondering if maybe the oil pump is out. Not sure how to check that.

any ideas?

I presume that you do not have Yamaha gauges that indicate why the alarm is sounding.

When the buzzer comes on remove the engine cover. Is the motor particularly warm? Does the engine mounted main oil tank have oil in it?

Low oil in the engine mounted main oil tank or an over temperature are the two things that will sound the alarm.

You did not say but did the motor go into RPM reduction mode when the alarm sounded?

Comment

Yamaha uses a gear driven oil pump that is very reliable.
      as long as the crankshaft is turning the pump will operate.
      Yamaha does not alarm no or low oil flow, just low oil level.

Suzuki does have a flow alarm

Comment

I don't know which oil pump he is referring to. Mechanical or electrical.

The electrical pump could be weak or the oil strainer partially clogged.

Again, we are asked for definitive answers with little to go on.

I wonder if doctors get calls over the phone like "doc, I don't feel well. What do I need to do to feel better"?

Maybe that is why some are loathe to talk to patients on the phone.

Comment

Problem Solved

Well, while on a slow tow back across the lake, I pulled owners manual and started reading my alarm codes and figured out it was low oil alarm. My main resovoir was nearly full, and the small reservoir under cowling was on the low mark. In the owners manual, I read there is a toggle switch on the back of the motor that is used to pump oil from the smaller oil tank under the cowling. So I turned on the key and using the toggle switch on back of the motor, I filled the secondary tank under the cowling to the full line. Started her up and ran her around a while and check to ensure everything was good. I ran aproximately 30 miles in total by the end of the day, stopping to check her now and again, never another problem and the tank under the cowling has remained at the full line.

Not sure why it ran low to begin with, but has been working fine since. I did change out the battery the day before the problem ocurred. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Steve View Post
            Well, while on a slow tow back across the lake, I pulled owners manual and started reading my alarm codes and figured out it was low oil alarm. My remote resovoir was nearly full, and the main reservoir under cowling was on the low mark. In the owners manual, I read there is a toggle switch on the back of the motor that is used to pump oil from the remote oil tank to the main oil tank under the cowling. So I turned on the key and using the toggle switch on back of the motor, I filled the main oil tank under the cowling to the full line. Started her up and ran her around a while and check to ensure everything was good. I ran aproximately 30 miles in total by the end of the day, stopping to check her now and again, never another problem and the main tank under the cowling has remained at the full line.

Not sure why it ran low to begin with, but has been working fine since. I did change out the battery the day before the problem ocurred. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.
            Fixed it for you.

The motor will operate just fine without the remote boat mounted oil tank. Not so much so without the main engine mounted oil tank.

Comment

Working...
            X