130beto/txrt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 130beto/txrt

Hi folks, been plucking up the courage to post this, so please be gentle with me .

I have posted before about my brother in law's engine, 1995 model, serial 703828 6L1 UL Y.

I hate to say this, and I know you will hate to read this, but the engine has been unused in nearly 3 years by the time we get to it in August. To compound matters, it was always ran in salt water, and the guy who retrieved it from the harbour for us did not flush it through. I used to religiously flush it in a barrel, and put a load of fogging oil down the carbs, and it always started well, albeit with a lot of white smoke for a while.

The engine is in the middle of nowhere, in the south of Ireland, so there is no chance of dropping lower units, and replacing impeller etc. If anything broke, we would be stuffed (we may be anyway...).

I need to know what are the bare necessities that I should do to try and get it going, and keep it going. I was thinking of replacing
    • spark plugs
    • thermostats and gaskets
    • pressure control valve and gasket
    • remote oil tank filter
    • engine fuel filter
    • primer bulb

Is there anything else that you can think of that doesnt involve a workshop? I dread to think what the water channels will look like, if they are salted up. Is there anything I can run in the fuel tank to help clean the carbs etc.?

The other thing I have to do is take off the side of the Yamaha 703 control box. I replaced the key switch last time I was over, but trying to get the 10 wires back into that small space was a job in itself. When the throttle is advanced, it seems to stiffen up at 3/4, and I have a feeling one of the wires might be catching and stopping it from going further forward.

Yours grovellingly,

John

"Retrieved it from the harbor"- Was it submerged or just taken out of the water (the later I gather).

I would count on pulling the carbs and cleaning out the float bowls as well as all the jets, their likely plugged up...

I'd be a bit leary starting the engine with that old impeller. Should it come apart, besides the obvious, parts of it can get stuck thru out the cooling system. You should be able, short of broken bolts, be able to access the impeller

I'd also put some 2 stroke oil in the cylinders BEFORE any fast cranking and rotate it slow.

Here's a link for Rydlem if after removing the thermostat its crappy in the cooling system:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th19434.html

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...m-th23666.html
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

[QUOTE=TownsendsFJR1300;117649]"Retrieved it from the harbor"- Was it submerged or just taken out of the water (the later I gather).

Sorry, bad phraseology. Yes, we left it moored up when we left, and he winched it onto the trailer and into storage.

Thanks for the links. Carbs weren't drained either. Are the float bowls easily accessible?
      Last edited by JohnOrrett; 04-18-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOrrett View Post

Thanks for the links. Carbs weren't drained either. Are the float bowls easily accessible?
        Thanks for the clarification.

It'll take you longer to remove the carbs than to remove the bowls and get to the jets.

Here's the parts fisch for your carbs. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html

The bowls are held on with screws. Make sure you get all the jets OUT and once inspected / cleaned you can SEE thru them.

I'd invest in a shop manual if you plan on keeping the boat / engine. It'd pay for itself very quickly...

If you click above, on the red "Purchase Yamaha Parts" to the upper right, you can bring up all the parts on your engine
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-18-2016, 06:04 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have both the official Yamaha manual and a Clymer version too. Good bedtime reading over the winter . I've also spent hours on this site looking at the parts page!

I have to ensure that anything we need gets taken with us. If anything breaks, cracks, falls off, drops through a crack etc. while we are there, if it ain't with us, we cant get a replacement.

Thanks again

Comment

I would take a water pump kit. an extra lock ring and collar.
            fuel bowl gaskets .
            tstats and gaskets
            pressure valve grommet and gasket.
            a fuel pump and mounting gasket.
            gear lube.
            drain and vent gaskets.
            driveshaft seals and the housing oring.
            a can or two of carb cleaner spray.

carbs take 1.5 hours or so to clean.

lower,barring broken bolts, takes another 1.5 hours to do a water pump.

its also why you do maint to outboards greasing bolts on reassembly.
            a well maintained outboard rarely fails and usually comes apart when nessasary.

Comment

Many thanks rodbolt; a couple of things there that i didn't think of. Unfortunately the engine is anything but well maintained, and to be honest we have been lucky so far.

The auxiliary is also acting up, but it has been since we had it since last time we were fishing. Old 1984 8.5 Mercury. I'm taking that to a Marine boatyard where the likelihood is that the carbs are gummed up.

If I'm going into a wide sea estuary that leads to the Atlantic, I want reliability, otherwise with a following wind I might bump into you good folk from across the pond

Comment

Working...
              X