2006 F150 stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 F150 stalls

Just purchased a boat with twin F150's. Both about 1500 hours. Had an oil leak in one engine so we installed a speedy sleeve this winter. I think the boat sat for awhile before I got it. Both motors are idling at about 6-7000. They are stalling when we first get going, when going from an idle to speed. Maybe cold. Of course they are not both stalling at the same time. The bigger problem is after running it for a while when I'm docking and jumping in and out of gear, sometimes hard, they stall, again not both at the same time. This is a big problem when docking.

I've changed the fuel separators, main fuel filters, VST filters, new plugs. Any suggestions? Any other hidden fuel filters to change. Idle to low? I do not trust my marina mechanic.

Actually does anyone know a good Yamaha mechanic in the Brooklyn part of NYC?

Thanks in advance

Don't have any specific recommendations in your neck of the woods but try and find a dealer that has a Yamaha Master Mechanic on his staff. One that is familiar with the updated sync and link procedure for your specific model. If he is not aware of the updated procedure that might be your clue to find another Yamaha mechanic.

You can use the Yamaha dealer locator to find dealers near to you.

Yamaha Outboards

Comment

Originally posted by truse2016 View Post
      Both motors are idling at about 6-7000.
      This has to be a typo. right?

Comment

Pull the plugs and see which one (s) fouling,check for codes,check fuel rail psi when it happens and clean the injectors..clean iac( isc) valve, listen for rattle..many things to check.

Comment

6000-7000 rpms, idle readings.

Sounds like I need to make my way to a certified Yamaha service center.

Comment

Did you check the interrupter switch by the cable adjustment? If you need I know a couple of shops in Suffolk County.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out which trip is better, to K&K or Gateway Marine in Highlands NJ. Dropping off the boat and getting home is a big challenge from either location. We're slipped in Mill Basin, that's Jamaica Bay.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by truse2016 View Post
                6000-7000 rpms, idle readings.

Sounds like I need to make my way to a certified Yamaha service center.
                maybe 600-700

Comment

Almost ALL F150's have this issue when new, myself and Rodbolt included. (I bought it brand new)

Its an adjustment.

My master tech adjusted several things and it NEVER STALLS anymore.

Rodbolt has a way to fool the computer and raise the idle. I showed it to my master tech, he simply re-set everything dead nuts on the money, it now idles mid 700's warm..

800 Cold/initial start up..

BTW, the previous, REGULAR Yamaha tech (while under warranty replaced the THROTTLE BODIES (WHICH IT DID not NEED). Get a MASTER TECH, period...
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-19-2016, 07:36 PM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    Almost ALL F150's have this issue when new, myself and Rodbolt included. (I bought it brand new)

Its an adjustment.

My master tech adjusted several things and it NEVER STALLS anymore.

Rodbolt has a way to fool the computer and raise the idle. I showed it to my master tech, he simply re-set everything dead nuts on the money, it now idles mid 700's warm..

800 Cold/initial start up..

BTW, the previous, REGULAR Yamaha tech (while under warranty replaced the THROTTLE BODIES (WHICH IT DID not NEED). Get a MASTER TECH, period...
                    Can you say "throwing parts at a problem". I could retire in a very prosperous way to Costa Rica if I had but a fraction of the money that Yamaha USA (or any engine maker for that matter) throws at dealers who are shotgunning a repair.

What becomes of all of the perfectly good parts that were removed? Methinks some dealer mechanic might have their own spare parts supply store.

Comment

I don't think the new procedure actually raises the idle RPM as the computer is trying to keep the RPM to a specified value.

What is happening is that the throttle valves are cracked open ever so slightly so as to allow a bit of air needed for idle to go through the throttle valves. This results in the idle air control valve not having to be opened up as much as it would otherwise be opened. Same amount of air and same amount of gasoline. Just two paths for the air to flow instead of just one.

Comment

yep
                        back in 07 my brand new F150 stalled at small throttle movements below about 1100 RPM.
                        that annoying stall alarm notified all my neighbors that the master Yamaha techs motor just stalled.

took me about 6 hours to figure it out and reset everything,faking out the ECU.

its very easy to do.

do a forum search with the tag high sierra.

yds is helpful but it can be done with two paper clips,two jumper leads and a DVM.

Comment

Here’s a link to Yamaha list of techs Outboards Master Technician | Yamaha Outboards
                          SUFFOLK MARINE CENTER INC. BABYLON is on the water about 20mins from Fire Island inlet.
                          ACCURATE MARINE SPECIALTIES INC. BOHEMIA NY
                          you will have to trailer in it’s about the middle of LI.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            What becomes of all of the perfectly good parts that were removed? Methinks some dealer mechanic might have their own spare parts supply store.
                            When I picked the boat up, they said the bill was $1,100 plus! I told them its under warranty, the guy told someone to "save the old ones".

$hit, if I bought a set of $1,100 TB's, their going home with me...

The issue later arose again. I brought it back, it ran SMOOTH, just low again at idle. I literally watched the "mechanic" tune a nasty vibration into the motor (bad enough the engine would walk its way to a full stop/turn In the water). I bitched, they said "that's the way it is. Did I have the balancer replaced?" Yes it was and besides, the vibration WASN'T there before that dumb a$$ touched it...

Found my Master Mechanic at another dealership. NO PARTS, smooth again and STILL a steady idle. Mine wasn't as low/bad as Rodbolts initially.
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                            X