No announcement yet.

Red Light on Yamaha 25hp. 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so looks like everyone agrees that low oil level or over heat could cause the red light and limit RPMs.

being he is convinced that the motor is not overheating, then he should chase the oil level switch/wiring problem I guess.

finding the temp switch wire so you can disconnect it when it happen will prove it is not the temperature switch if the light does not go out when you disconnect it.

Comment

Item 18.

1995 25ELHT Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram and Parts

Comment

When you've got the boscoe, rodbolt, townsend, and 99yam show going on stand back, take notes, and just do what they ask, then do what they say. You're in good hands. Though one or two of those guys is an Aussie, so frequent gibberish about who knows is common lol.

Anyways, since I owned a '93 25hp 2 stroke I figured I chime in. If your oil tank has been decreasing when using engine then the oil pump is working. If it hasn't decreased, you've got an oil pump issue. And even though the pisser is running like a race horse doesn't mean water is circulating completely through all the passages surrounding the head. Since it's an older engine, corrosion can and will build up in the passages and the water being pumped through there will take the path of least resistance. A good pisser is a sign the water pump impeller is working, not necessarily pumping water to all the necessary areas. If your engine is used in saltwater, get a product called Salt X. Submerge lower unit, open thermostat housing, remove thermostat (you should replace this and the gasket if you haven't in a while), dump Salt X while idling. This will help to breakdown any corrosion that exists. Make sure to flush engine with fresh water after using this product. You also could have a resistance issue with the thermostat or oil pump wiring, or a ground wire issue.
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

the oil tank was about 1/4 full

Comment

So, you filled the oil tank up and now all is well?

Comment

First of all, I want to thank all of you for all of your input on this matter. It's all been really helpful and interesting. I filled up the oil reservoir and I'm going to take it out tomorrow and see if it comes on again. If it does come on again then I guess I will have to take additional steps. Once again thank you so much for your feedback.

Comment

Working...
              X