2006 yamaha 50tlr will not turn over not power to tilt and trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 yamaha 50tlr will not turn over not power to tilt and trim

Ok guys a little bit of a back story. Recently bought this motor it came off of a pontoon with remote steer, with the intentions of converting to a tiller which I have. When I bought it the dip shi* I bought it from unhooked all the battery leads and kept them along with the controls. So I bought new battery leads (used) and the tiller conversion kit that had all the controls I needed minus the two clips to attach to shiftier and throttle which I have gotten.
    I will mention that I bought the leads used from a buddy along with the tiller handle that had the conversion kit on it already.

Now the problem....
    Turn the key on newly installed tiller, nothing not even a click at the relay. No power to tilt/trim on tiller or on side of motor. I have tested the voltage in to the relay from the battery and it is good but I get nothing on the outgoing side of the relay that goes to starter. I figured it was the relay and replaced it, $65 later replaced it, same thing.

Also I get no voltage reading to any of the pins on the 10 pin plug that is at the end of wiring harness that connects to the tiller controls.

When I jump the relay the starter will turn. When I test out my grounds they test good as well.

I will also note that I have cleaned my posts and connections twice now and they couldn't be more clean.

Forgot to mention I checked the main fuse, didn't look to be blown but replaced anyways to make sure. Same result.

Comment

Check for:

- Battery voltage to the terminal on the starter relay
      - Battery voltage to the fuse. Check the connector on the way to the fuse.
      - Battery voltage from the fuse to the red wire terminal in the ten pin coupler
      - Battery voltage to the red wire terminal at the key switch
      - Battery voltage to the yellow wire terminal at the key switch when the key is in the on position or the start position
      - Battery voltage at the brown wire at the connection point to the starter relay when the key is in the start position
      - Check the starter relay ground if all of the above checks OK but the ground should be good if you can energize the starter motor by applying 12 volts to the brown wire of the relay

Comment

Thanks for the reply and help. I'll check them out when I get home this evening and let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Sorry for the delay but here are my results
          Check for:

- Battery voltage to the terminal on the starter relay
          In to relay 11v showing this on a fully charged battery, this voltage is showing as well when testing direct to battery.
          No voltage at either.

- Battery voltage from the fuse to the red wire terminal in the ten pin coupler
          No voltage

- Battery voltage to the red wire terminal at the key switch
          No voltage

- Battery voltage to the yellow wire terminal at the key switch when the key is in the on position or the start position
          No voltage

- Battery voltage at the brown wire at the connection point to the starter relay when the key is in the start position
          No voltage

- Check the starter relay ground if all of the above checks OK but the ground should be good if you can energize the starter motor by applying 12 volts to the brown wire of the relay
          ground is good

Reminder: I have already replaced the relay.

Comment

There's your problem.

No voltage at either.

Fix the wiring issue.

Comment

Yep loose butt connector that was it!!! Now it's firing but we have another problem discovered.

Now new problem, trim will move up but will not move down? Hearing a clicking noise when pressing button to move down.

Any idea ?

Comment

My guess would be the relay assembly if the trim switch is making it click.

Reverse the blue and green power feed wires that run to the pump motor at the relay. If it now moves down (via the up switch) but not up (via the down switch) that is confirmation the relay is kaput.

Comment

I switched them around and it goes down. are you sure this is it because if not this is a $170 part. could it be something in the wiring or are you sure this is it ?

Comment

I am not sure of anything in this world.

Comment

Working...
                    X