NMEA2000 questions connecting (2) F150XB's to Garmin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMEA2000 questions connecting (2) F150XB's to Garmin

Want to connect my (2) Yamaha 2015 F150XB's to my Garmin chartplotter.

In my helm I have the Yamaha Multi Hub and there are no open device ports..

[Power] [Bus] [Device] (Device] [Device] [Bus]

- Power to the power connection/port
    - I have (3) gauges that I am guessing are plugged into the [Device] ports
    - Terminator on one [Bus] port
    - Another connection coming into the other [Bus] port.. (Coming from the engines Or could there be another multi hub aft of the helm?)

These are the digital square gauges not the Command Link Plus.. I know I need the NMEA2000 starter kit for the backbone.

I've been told 3 different things and now don't know what to believe. I don't want to cause any issues with my engines but don't want to spend needless money if I don't need to. Also, in option 1 or 2 there was no mention if the power needed to be supplied to the backbone if there was power going to the multi hub.

Here is what I've been told:

1. Yamaha Command Link cable ($216+) would go into where the bus Terminator was plugged into the Multi Hub, then into a NMEA 2000 backbone with terminators on each. (http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf) Didn't state if I would need to add power to the NMEA2000 backbone since there is already power to the Multi-Bus.

2. Same as #1 but I need to add another Yamaha Multi-Hub's and go [Bus] from original to [Bus] to 2nd and connect the Yamaha link cable to a [Device] port.. then to the NMEA2000 backbone.

3. Yamaha / Lowrance interface cable + NMEA2000 starter kit (no additional hub, remove the terminator from the hub and go directly into the NMEA200 backbone (starter kit..).

Like I said, I just want to know what I need to do.. I don't want to spend money that I don't need to spend but I also don't want to chance screwing up an ECM over a $100 part..

Thanks!

here's a simple option

Yamaha Command Link NMEA 2k Cables

Comment

Mr

how do I go about ordering Yamaha out board part at a discount..

Comment

how do I go about ordering Yamaha out board motor parts at a discount

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
          here's a simple option

Yamaha Command Link NMEA 2k Cables

Thanks a few questions.. 1st he has in the add "The male cable will mount from your Yamaha Command Link Bus into an existing NMEA 2k backbone." I get that.. what I'm not sure is can i remove the terminator from the Command Link Bus, and simply plug this in to a NMEA2000 bus? I don't have any open "Device" ports on the command link bus. I believe the command link bus is nothing more than Yamaha's NMEA200 backbone.. 2nd question, If this is doable, when I effectively extend this by adding a the "T's" and terminators do I have to supply power to the extended backbone or is it powered by the command link bus that already has power.

that make sense?

Comment

certainly Command Link is NMEA 2000 with proprietary connectors.

You understand that all you need is one more "drop" ("Device Port") but Yamaha doesn't make it that simple.

There are many ways to "work around" the Yamaha parts to integrate them with standard N2K parts.

My understanding of what the craigslist fellow is offering, is a customized wire where he effectively "splits off" one more N2K "drop" while maintaining the resistor (what the "terminator" is).

Certainly, that is possible to do.

So with his cable, you would not need any other N2K parts - just plug the end of his cable into your Garmin.

As he says:

"I used the NMEA 2k female plug to go directly from Yamaha bus into my Lowrance HDS unit. If you're only using one NMEA 2k device (like me) than you don't need to spend the money on all the extra backbone cables/terminators, etc. "

You would to need to confirm that the connector you need, to the Garmin, is what he calls male, or female.
            Last edited by fairdeal; 02-23-2016, 07:08 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

I'd be adding the network anyway, want my VHF added too so I can take advantage of the NMSI. Also going to add a CHIRP down view transducer. So what the hell is in that little black box on the Yamaha command link cable?? (Besides the $100 delta)

Comment

Working...
              X