Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question!!! Melt spot on impeller housing

Good morning,

Im sorry if Im posting too much, im trying to learn more about outboard and how to fix it myslef without paying for every service.

I have changed impeller on a few outboards now, but this one That i was changing on the 1992 yamaha 115hp v4, is alittle different. I took thew housing off, the impeller looks nice and rubbery but with some cracking starting to build which is probable. I did notice that a part of the housing around the metal insert and the tube entry that goes to the engine looks like it melted a little. The actual housing on the outside looks perfect but just that spot looks wierd to me. I ordered a full kit but was wondering what caused this melt? Could it have overheated before? Why is the impeller fine then?

Thank you

Somebody cranked up motor dry and it got hot....plastic melted some before rubber impeller....with the impeller in there so snug in that stainless steel cup only takes a minute to get hot if it's bone dry....just replace the plastic housing...

Comment

thanks for the advice,

I just ordered a full kit with housing and everything. I will just do a rebuild

thanks

Comment

Just remember to never crank up motor without water in the lower unit....

Comment

i have the lower unit disconnected and waiting on the new impeller kit. Im trying to get spark on my plugs so I will leave it off while running all the tests and cranking over and over again. I have the fuel disconnected so it wont start accidentally. after i put the lower end back on i will have the ear muffs running with water before i turn it over just to get the water pumping.

thanks

Comment

I'm not sure if it will apply to your engine, BUT many times the MODEL # is needed. Especially with the electric's (once/if you start posting re that issue).

Good luck.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

just making sure you know that a kit does not contain the housing, that has to be orders separately

Comment

Chilinikilay

I tell You A trade secret,,, if ya tell what your name means/is..don't trow out your old w/p housing...on yammys, when you order the "complete" w/p kit.. they exclude the black rubber exit seal (very top)with the two side nipples..and then your stuck having to order that one (1) little piece that stops the whole show!!

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  just making sure you know that a kit does not contain the housing, that has to be orders separately
                  I was going to post the same but he mentioned he ordered the kit
                  " with housing and everything."

Sounded like he probably ordered it. Better safe than sorry.
                  Scott

Comment

thanks guys, I ordered the:

Sierra International 18-3373 Marine Water Pump Kit with Housing for Yamaha Outboard Motor ( attached the image to this reply)

It looks like it has everything, but if something is missing I will just end up ordering it.

Thanks for everything guys, you are a wealth of information.

-Nick
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chileynikolay View Post
                      thanks guys, I ordered the:

Sierra International 18-3373 Marine Water Pump Kit with Housing for Yamaha Outboard Motor ( attached the image to this reply)

It looks like it has everything, but if something is missing I will just end up ordering it.

Thanks for everything guys, you are a wealth of information.

-Nick
                      The black, squarish thing (with the 4 holes) is what we were referring to ("the housing").

It doesn't come with the Yamaha kit

You should be good. Just make sure the impeller is installed in the "direction" (vanes turned) in the direction it turns..
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X