Follow up on T/T Spanner wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow up on T/T Spanner wrench

I repaired the leak I had in my top seal on T/T. This requires that the dust cap that the ram is in be removed.

To do this I ordered a spanner wrench, from simyamaha.com, part# YTRIM2, cost of about $100. While I was waiting for delivery I came up with the idea that I could drill 2 holes in the jaws of an adjustable wrench and that might work.

The dust cap pin size on my F90TLR is 6mm. The tool comes with either 4 or 6mm pins.

I measured the c-to-c distance, selected an adequate crescent wrench, drilled my holes and removed the dust cap. In my case the cap came off easy.

BEWARE...the holes on the dust cap are not that deep so with this method one has to be cautious that the pins don't slip out of the holes and cause a greater issue. As I said mine came off easy.

I did receive the tool and sent back for a refund...minus about $20 shipping both ways.
    Last edited by jackmanjls; 02-02-2016, 10:37 AM.

adjustable wrench - brilliant!

I just changed my trim pistons a few weeks ago -
    made a pin spanner out of scrap stock

- but I had to sweat the layout to get the pin spacing right
    - had to cut a notch to fit around the shaft
    - and its only good for that particular application

hopefully I remember this tip, if I ever need to make another

Comment

fairdeal...i started with the layout like you did. i quickly realized that if my dimensions were off then things would not line up and the cap could get buggered up which would be a disaster.

I had a 12" crescent from HF that I had and it worked out like a champ. Whatever steel they make those out of it's really hard. I used a slow speed drill with lots of oil at the bit. It took some time but in the end it was worth it.

Always some satisfaction to saving a $hondo.

Also if you look at simyamaha.com, part#ytrim2 they have the dimensions, pretty nice.

Comment

Great idea!!

What did you use for the pins Jack?

I gather something hardened and press (hammered in) fit???
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

For the pins I modified a nail that was close to 6mm, I think it was 16 penny but could have been diff. Hole size was drilled for the nail size. It fit snug and didn't bend under the pressure. I watched really close.

I thought about something hardened but I thought I would try the nail and that worked. My second option would have been to get a couple of drills for the pins but the nail idea worked.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmanjls View Post
            For the pins I modified a nail that was close to 6mm, I think it was 16 penny but could have been diff. Hole size was drilled for the nail size. It fit snug and didn't bend under the pressure. I watched really close.

I thought about something hardened but I thought I would try the nail and that worked. My second option would have been to get a couple of drills for the pins but the nail idea worked.

Both, really, really good ideas!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
            Scott

Comment

Can you post a pic for those of us who are literary challenged??

Comment

Depending on the cap, you could get a third pin in that adjustable wrench (that one would obviously NOT be adjustable) if the cap was a b...h..

For Catcam, he took a larger sized adjustable wrench. Drilled two holes in the none movable head and the adjustable jaw. Kept the holes just small enough that he could smack in two pins(nails in this case) that stick out the side.

You would then take the adjustable wrench to the trim cap, adjust the pins to fit the cap holes and crank away! No special tools, fits ANY size cap (also dependant on the sized pin hole in the cap-if smaller or larger)
                Scott

Comment

To expand on TFLR1300's explanation for CatCam.

Normally, you would use the adjustable crescent wrench by putting both jaws around a nut. In this case each jaw has a hole with a ~6mm pin protruding. The male pins (wrench) go into the female pins on the dust cap.

The feature that's nice about the pin arrangement is that it is adjustable and doesn't require any exact alignment. The alignment issue is compensated for by the adjustable feature of the crescent wrench jaws. This is a huge advantage.

CatCam if you need a pic no prob I will do...just let me know.

Another nice thing is that once u r done with using the tool as the spanner wrench it's still a good crescent wrench, you could say it's a double duty tool.

Comment

Normally, you would use the adjustable crescent wrench by putting both jaws around a nut. In this case each jaw has a hole with a ~6mm pin protruding. The male pins (wrench) go into the female pins on the dust cap.

The feature that's nice about the pin arrangement is that it is adjustable and doesn't require any exact alignment. The alignment issue is compensated for by the adjustable feature of the crescent wrench jaws. This is a huge advantage.

CatCam if you need a pic no prob I will do...just let me know.

Another nice thing is that once u r done with using the tool as the spanner wrench it's still a good crescent wrench, you could say it's a double duty tool.
                    I got it now with this explanation -- pretty clever!!!

Comment

LOL, but just a side note, my username is my last name plus my old motorcycle, an FJR1300, (Yamaha of course):

Or you can call me "Scott" (or anything else )
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X