No announcement yet.

runs perfect on trailer no power in water HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Members here will get you going, be patient and answer the best you can...

Here's the parts fisch for your engine:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...XRS/parts.html
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-01-2016, 08:57 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

townsend i am also in cape coral florida, would you be interested in taking a look at the boat?

Comment

Sure but I'd like some opinions in where to look first.

I'd be leaning towards the carbs, but you say their clean. Can you drain each float bowl into a CLEAN tuna fish can and see how clean the fuel is.

I'm assuming the carbs were removed, jets PULLED and visibly looked thru??

How old is the fuel in the engine?

(I'm in the SW Cape-what ramp are you closest to?)
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-01-2016, 09:04 PM.
        Scott

Comment

The 250TXRS should be enough for the ID as there are not a lot of 250s listed for that year. there might be a L in front if it is a lefty but that is all i can see.
          i would get the tack hooked up so you can see indicators if and what brings in the RPM limit.
          Over heat and low oil will limit RPM to around 2K from what little I think I know.

A motor in gear and loaded up needs more fuel to create power to get to higher RPM or it is not hitting an all cylinders. Have you looked at timing with a light to see if it advances as it should?

Comment

i am in nw cape but usually launch next to midpoint bridge off del prado, and yes the carbs have been off disassembled soaked for 24 hours and reassembled i have also removed the reeds to visually check them for cracks or missing pieces and they look great, in that process i found a bad connecting rod bearing and replaced it. the boat is currently running off of a 6 gallon above deck test tank brand new from west marine. the tank for the boat is full of crap and needs replacing but i wanted to get the boat running propper before sinking any more money in it.

it is the v-x 76* 250 hp 2 stroke v6 1994 if that helps with clearing up any model number questions

Comment

I have a portable clamp on tach (clamps over the spark plug wire) and an inductive timing light to check spark(as well as a reg, adjustable spark tester if needed)
              Scott

Comment

i have not checked timing, if it is a lefty motor and i have a righty prop on and im running in reverse without knowing would that limit me? also those tools would help out a lot as i do not have tham

Comment

"disassembled and soaked", did that include pulling the main and idle jets for all carbs?? AND VISIBLY looking thru them?

The condition of the previous fuel in the engine points me towards the carbs..

Your maybe 10 minutes from me BTW
                  Scott

Comment

i did see a "UL" code on the engine tag, would that me its a left turn motor? i put this engine on replacing an old suzuki and when i first sea tested i had to flip the controls to make drive drive and reverse reverse and i put the rh prop on so i could be running a left turn lower the wrong way and not even know it

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      "disassembled and soaked", did that include pulling the main and idle jets for all carbs?? AND VISIBLY looking thru them?

The condition of the previous fuel in the engine points me towards the carbs..

Your maybe 10 minutes from me BTW
                      yes they visably inspected when reassembled and yes we cleaned them because i ran the crap fuel from the boats tank through the carbs

Comment

Originally posted by seaox250 View Post
                        i did see a "UL" code on the engine tag, would that me its a left turn motor? i put this engine on replacing an old suzuki and when i first sea tested i had to flip the controls to make drive drive and reverse reverse and i put the rh prop on so i could be running a left turn lower the wrong way and not even know it
                        The crank, when running/cranking should turn clockwise looking down (as I recall). Can you verify?

If you had to reverse all the controls, I suspect you have a reverse turning motor.
                        Scott

Comment

Check that tomorrow am (or whenever) and see what you find.

I'll PM you my phone #, and we can get together if need be..
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            The crank, when running/cranking should turn clockwise looking down (as I recall). Can you verify?

If you had to reverse all the controls, I suspect you have a reverse turning motor.
                            You say this but he went from a Zuk to a Yam and I am not sure he changed the controls.

All motors turn the same way that I have seen, it is just the lower unit that is different

Comment

even though i went from suzuki to yamaha, i had to reverse the throttle cable also because in neutral the carbs were wide open, i am almost positive the engine itself turns clockwise but dont they all? and the lower unit determines which way the prop spins?

also when the engine is idling and in neutral the prop turns slowly clockwise

Comment

they are still suzuki controls and cables

Comment

Working...
                                X