No announcement yet.

95 Yamaha 200hp Offset on transom to install 9.9 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your dad is a smart man. A back-up motor is like insurance. You hope you never have to use it, but are darn glad you have it if you need it... "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

What are your plans for fuel? Use a portable tank or maybe use a 3-way fuel valve so you can draw off the main tank and not need to lug a 6-gallon tank around?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Unless an idea is absolutely ridiculous , it's forum members duty to entertain the idea and raise the pros and cons.
      The idea is not ridiculous but somewhat unconventional.
      On a large boat weight offset can be compensated for.
      To avoid compromising performance the engine needs to be moved to the appropriate side to offset the giroscopic rotational forces.
      A true outboard should be technically mounted offset anyway (a qualified marine tech knows that). But today we do not bother.
      We have trimming, up down in out to the left to the right etc.
      As I have come in late on this, I think a standard RH rotating motor is offset to port. Think twin counter rotating engines are set up so the props turn up and over into each other.
      You will need to check this, with consideration of the size and shape of the hull.
      Just to stir thought if you do this right you may possibly get a better turning boat that turns both ways very much the same!! ( possibly).

Comment

On the point of using a smaller motor as backup (safety) it'll be wise to keep the fuel , battery and all systems separately. The small you may be able to fill from your main take but I would keep it separate. You should also run this motor regularly to ensure its reliability.
        Incidentally your kicker motor should be mounted on your port side to enable you to better steer the boat when underway with this motor. When mounting clearance consideration must be given as this motor will need to rotate more to give reasonable steering response.

Comment

Here little commercial fishing boats with main motor off set is very common.
          Usually they use the main motor to navigate to fishing spots that use to be a 80, 100 or 115HP and while on fishing spots to work they use a little motor that use to be a 25, 40 or 50HP

But how is the navigation of that hulls IDK!

Comment

Interesting to me that what is commonly done in other countries, but not done in one particular country, is thought by folks within the one particular country that it cannot be done or should not be done.

We are creatures of habit and what we know. What we don't know is resisted and thought to be wrong.

First time someone that drives on the right side goes to a country where they drive on the left side of the road they are critical. After driving on the left side of the road for a while they find out it is not so strange after all.

Regarding asymmetrical thrust from an offset motor I don't see it being a particularly big problemo. The offset is typically not enough to amount to a hill of beans. Remember, twin engine air planes can fly just fine on one of two motors and in the case of an air plane the offset is quite considerable. Both are equipped with rudders to counter the asymmetric thrust.

Comment

a extra smaller motor is a smart thing to have as a *****ing motor and to use in an emergency if the larger one heads south.
              It may take a long time to get somewhere with it but it will move you out of harms way hopefully or at least keep you headed in to the waves instead of just at the mercy of wind and waves, until help can reach you.
              This is why a radio and/or epirb should be a part of your safety gear.

I have only been in one twin motor boat that lost one of its motors some miles out in the Gulf of Mexico and had to run back on one.
              The boats are rigged/propped for both to be pushing , when only one is running the motor is not propped correctly so you should not be hammering that one motor lugging it.
              Running on that one at slow speed can get you back it just takes time and the steering is not the best as you are pushing on one side only. I cannot imagine getting up on plane on that one motor with the wrong prop and fighting the steering. Maybe it can happen, but I would not want to do it.

If you propped both motors to be able to run on just one motor it should work , but then running on two would mean the boat was propped wrong.

And on plane I have no idea how the steering would be, as i have never had the pleasure of experiencing that

Comment

I like seeing those pictures of other boats with that setup. It's good to see things "being done differently". One thing to keep in mind is that those boats are all using much smaller motors (aside from the weight issue, you have the amount of torque that's produced). Also the OP's boat is only 19' and is a v-hull boat designed for a different application than these workboats. Meaning, the effect that having the motor offset (whatever it may/may not be) will be less noticeable given the smaller HP and flatter bottom.

Something else to keep in mind is that just because we see other people doing something, it doesn't mean it's a good idea. In some countries it's totally LEGAL to use your macerator while in your slip at the marina.

I do like the discussion, though!

Comment

Saw a boat is Costa Rica that had Suzuki on one side and a Yamaha on the other side. The motor on the right was the counter rotating one and the motor on the left was the conventional turn motor. Two different control boxes at the helm.

Skipper looked like he had no problem operating the boat.

What looked like to be a 50 gallon plastic drum with gasoline on board. The fuel hose simply slid down a hole in the top of the tank.

I particularly like seeing folks doing what some folks say can not or should not be done.

There is another website that I frequent and it seems that if anyone dares to do something that someone else disagrees with then all hell breaks out. Brands, batteries, hydrofoils, trim tabs, wire sizes, it does not matter. Some seem to think it is their way or the high way. Ain't necessarily so I have found out.

Comment

I definitely agree that there's often more than one way to skin a cat. Although... I'm not sure I can get aboard with the plastic oil drum filled with gasoline sitting on deck Sure, there are times when I've done things generally considered "not safe", but this is more "just to get by" (or before I knew better) and not something I would make a habit of.

Comment

Did anyone notice that in the photos that the pair on each boat are actually the same horsepower! First picture 50 Hp each! Benefit of 4st and 2st combined?
                      Ah start a new thread "is it good to mix and match OBs?"

Comment

Looks to me like an F150 with the 1 missing in front of the 50. Why would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                          Also the OP's boat is only 19' and is a v-hull boat designed for a different application than these workboats.
                          Dennis I think thats the point...
                          The fact of these working boats not being V hull may not affect much or nothing at all on navigation (One of these days I'll ask)

Here this is most common Setup on those type of fishing boats but we also have those type of boats using twins with the same HP but not so common.

I think the idea is use the "little" motor to work on fishing area while working (to save on gas? IDK usually those "little" motor have much more hours than the main one but done at low speed/revīs) and not have a *****ing/emergency motor since usually they use both but at diferent times but seen once a guy with a F100 and a F40 that used the 100 to get on plane than speed up to WOT than use the 40HP (how the 40 keep up with the 100 IDK but those working boats depending of the gear donīt navigate that fast and some may not even plane ) and maybe this is not so rare but I guess thats not the point.

Comment

In addition to saving on gasoline the price of a smaller motor, let's use an F50 as an example, will cost but a fraction of what a bigger motor will cost. An F50 here in the US is about $6000.00. The F150 is about $12,000.00. For the same amount of operational life the F50 will cost half as much as the F150 just in acquisition costs alone. In Europe I bet the price difference will be even more.

People do what people gotta do.

Comment

I have the 2015 YAMAHA outboards price chart with me and I know 2016 chart already have a few diferences (While some models are cheap other are more expensive)

2015:

F50HETL 8565.72€
                              F150DETL 17783.34€

You guys in US are so lucky!!!

With that price of motors and gas almost everyone can have a boat

For my government have a boat is luxury...
                              Up to 25HP is free of taxes, more than that we have to PAY a LOT!

Motors and hulls used for comercial purpose donīt pay some taxes
                              Last edited by almetelo; 01-28-2016, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Depending upon who our next president is we might be paying taxes like you are paying taxes.

But if one here is rich enough to buy and own a $50M business jet he can write off the costs of most of it as a "business" expense. Even if he is just riding back and forth to Europe to visit his business yacht, which also was a tax write off.

Comment

Working...
                                X