95 Yamaha 200hp Offset on transom to install 9.9 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Yamaha 200hp Offset on transom to install 9.9 4 stroke

Hello all thank you for letting me be a Member. I have been reading this site for months now and learning thank You.

I bought a boat with the motor not working and replacing it and fixing up the boat to go fishing here in NW Indiana on Lake Michigan its a lot safer boat than my bass boat.

I want to offset my 200hp Yamaha to the port side of my boat to install a 9.9 4 stroke on the starboard side instead of mounting a new bracket will the boat perform correctly I don't think it will be a weight issue here is what I have

1988 Pro Line 190cc
    1995 200hp Yamaha 25" Shaft
    7.6 Beam
    22" Transom
    I have a 3 foot drop down cut out in the Transom

I will go get a picture and upload it later today

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

An engine that large, is NOT a good idea to offset on the hull by itself.

Just the torque pull on a normally mounted engine and properly adjusted trim tab make all the difference in the world for drive-ability.

You'll be throwing all that OUT THE WINDOW and very likely make the boat unsafe.

Your probably running a group 27 battery located on one side. I'd probably look at mounting your kicker on the other side(evening up the weight)..

Just my 2cts...

Others will chime in...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-25-2016, 08:10 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

from what I have heard from people with twin engine boats, trying to run back in after loosing one motor is a pain as the boat wants to run in circles.
      pushing on one side causes major steering problems.

never heard of someone doing what you are asking about If I am understanding your question

Comment

Nope,nada,forget that thought

guess ya cant leave a short message here

Comment

Originally posted by Proline190cc View Post

22" Transom

Thanks
          A 3 foot drop down kind of sounds like you do not have a transom

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            A 3 foot drop down kind of sounds like you do not have a transom
            Ha! I was thinking the first thing when I read through the post. But after reading it again, I'm going to "assume" he means he has a "36-inch wide drop down".

I have never seen the main motor mounted off-center. I can't imagine that it would be a smart thing to do and I would never even consider doing it. Since you mentioned you're not doing this because you're worried about weight, is it safe to assume that the reason is cost? It's your rig and you can do anything you want - but the right way to do it is to add a bracket for the kicker. Anything else will cause handling issues... possibly severe.
            Last edited by DennisG01; 01-26-2016, 12:51 AM.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

they make brackets to mount kicker motors to either side of the transom.

Comment

You won't be the first.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...Lb55rMmDZXM%3A

Comment

Interesting! I've owned/seen many, many boats in my short 43 years, but that's a first! Cool - good find!

For the OP: An important difference here is the type of hull. That boat has a displacement hull, not a planing hull. At rest, a displacement hull is much more stable (not affected as much by a transfer of weight from port to starbaord). It's also not a hull that is designed to run up on plane, which means the speeds are typically slower. A displacement hull CAN get up on plane, but it's not what it's "designed" for. It should also be noted that the boat in the picture is quite a bit larger (and heavier) than your boat, along with a lighter 100HP OB.

It also appears that the 100HP is mounted off-center to allow a "work station" in that aft, port corner. Given that it's a working boat, the large size boat and the small OB... running up on plane at high speeds is not something that boat is meant do -- and ultimately won't be affected by having the OB off-center.

Again, it's your rig - but I just can't imagine this being a good idea on YOUR set-up. If nothing else, your boat will be slower and less fuel efficient since the leg will effectively stick lower in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Proline190cc View Post
                    Hello all thank you for letting me be a Member. I have been reading this site for months now and learning thank You.

I bought a boat with the motor not working and replacing it and fixing up the boat to go fishing here in NW Indiana on Lake Michigan its a lot safer boat than my bass boat.

I want to offset my 200hp Yamaha to the port side of my boat to install a 9.9 4 stroke on the starboard side instead of mounting a new bracket will the boat perform correctly I don't think it will be a weight issue here is what I have

1988 Pro Line 190cc
                    1995 200hp Yamaha 25" Shaft
                    7.6 Beam
                    22" Transom

Thanks
                    Don't let the nattering nabobs of negativity get to you. If Orville and Wilbur had listened we would not be flying in air planes today.

You will need to 'speriment' to see if what you want to do works for you. If may or it may not. We need the brave few such as yourself to give it a try. Then give us some feed back.

People report driving twin engine boats on one engine all of the time. I don't recall any of them making a comment about the boat being squirrely. In your case your motor more than likely won't be offset as much as one of two big twin four strokes has to be.

Comment

Good point about the "experimenting", Boscoe. And, you're right, mounting it off-center is probably not a "disaster waiting to happen" as I somewhat eluded to.

I do like to experiment with things, too. One can learn a lot by actually doing things. In this case, though, I just can't imagine it being productive. A 19' v-hull boat can be quite noticeably affected by small amounts of weight being transferred from one side to another. And, sure, you can compensate for that by adding weight/moving things to the kicker side.

But at the very least, the engine is still going to be further into the water (twin engines are already set-up appropriately for height) - possibly there will be enough holes on the bracket to safely raise it. If not, would probably need a jack plate, which is more money.

Something else to take into account is that moving the engine also means the throttle/shift cables will essentially "grow" in length. Depending on how they are run in this particular boat, it may or may not present a problem. If the cables are just zip tied under the gunwale, then there might be enough space to compensate for the "extra" cable from moving the engine closer to the helm (in a manner of speaking). But then the cables would have to drop down from the underside of the gunwale towards the floor and be very visible.

It just seems like a lot of work and there will be no gains from it. How bad the performance will be... who knows. But it I do think it's safe to assume that the performance, maneuverability, fuel economy will be affected. But that's where the experimentation come in!

Another thought to take into account is whether a thru-hull or transducer will need to be moved.
                      Last edited by DennisG01; 01-26-2016, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I suspect the biggest issue, (when not at WOT) is all that weight (and HP) on one side of a smallish boat.

Please update when you can..
                        Scott

Comment

Hello I want to thank all of you for all of the feedback my 200hp yam motor will be here tomorrow and after reading all the posts I think due to safety I will mount the motor back in the center that way I can sleep at night knowing its safe.

I will get a bracket for the 9.9 and mount off the side and get the adjustable steering quick connect ive been reading here about and watching videos so I can steer it with the wheel from the main motor

My 9.9 is a steer motor with cables and electric start I am going to use a double 704 Yamaha Binnacle I have all the cables and wiring.

Again this site has helped me over time and thank you for letting me join

Thanks
                          George

Comment

Just curious George (think I heard that before??) , are you going to use the 9.9 for *****ing or just as a back up unit?

And as a side note, I had a 15 HP Johnson (back up, 2 stroke) on a bracket (opposite side as the battery) on my old boat (21' cuddy cabin), and I couldn't feel the weight difference back there.

As noted previously, if you batteries are aft, I would try to keep the 9.9 on the other side just to even out the weight..
                            Scott

Comment

Well the 9.9 My dad insisted that we have it on the boat as we are going to fish Lake Michigan and Kentucky lake more so I would say right now Primary is for Safety.

My friend is going to teach me how to ***** for the Coho and Salmon so it will be a *****er too.

On the Port side rear is my Live Well and the Starboard side is my Battery and 2 stroke oil tank so I plan to mount the 9.9 on the starboard side as close to center as I can and the captain wheel is off center on the port side as this is a Center Console boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X