Yamaha Hours on F115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Hours on F115

I have a 2002 F115. I have the Yamaha Diagnostic software. I was checking to see how many hours I had on her because I don't have an hour meter. Says total hours are 614. But the numbers broken down add up to 349.5
    anyone know why? Thanks..

welcome to stupid ECU's.

not the first time we have seen 6000 hrs on a mostly new motor nor 4000 overheat counts on a Z300.

some ECU's react to loose battery connections by logging bogus info.

Comment

Thanks rodbolt.. So would the numbers added up be a accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Maritime68 View Post
        Thanks rodbolt.. So would the numbers added up be a accurate?
        Only in your dreams.

Comment

seems ecu or the software cannot add properly.
          which total sounds correct to you?
          looks like you have spent about 120 hours *****ing

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            seems ecu or the software cannot add properly.
            which total sounds correct to you?
            looks like you have spent about 120 hours *****ing
            If the sum of the individual hours is less than the total indicated then the seller will feel that the sum is the correct number.

If the total indicated engine hours are less than the sum of the individual hours then the seller will feel that the indicated total is the correct number.

A buyer may think just the opposite.

If the ECU is not adding up then it is not adding up. I doubt either number could be trusted as being the truth.

Motor is arguably 13/14 years old now. Just a personal preference but I would be suspicious of a motor that old if it only had 349 hours on it. 24 hours per year. If the motor had a total of 614 hours total time that would be a bit more reasonable as that is about 43 hours per year. Average run time of a Yamaha outboard motor per year is estimated to be about 50 hours per year.

At this point to me the hours would be completely irrelevant. I would want to know of the internal mechanical health of the motor, does it start, idle and run well, and what does it look like from a corrosion standpoint.

It was a lot simpler back in the day when motors did not have hour meters.

Comment

who in the F cares

Lets get real,,,Hr's on a motor don't mean a God Damn thing...what matters is a big story,, where and how is the motor stored ? who is doing the service on it (The Biggest factor) how is the motor being used, and a host of other issue's..So tired of this STUPID BS of it has low hr's CRAP...Many times that mean's Big problems are to arise

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
                Lets get real,,,Hr's on a motor don't mean a God Damn thing...what matters is a big story,, where and how is the motor stored ? who is doing the service on it (The Biggest factor) how is the motor being used, and a host of other issue's..So tired of this STUPID BS of it has low hr's CRAP...Many times that mean's Big problems are to arise
                Relax. Take a deep breath. Unwind. Smell the air. Look at the horizon and the mountains.

Hours are just one measure to be taken of a motor. Like the years of our time here on earth.

For the average motor owner, hours are all that he really has to go by. Like miles on a car. Or years on his life.

We tend to think a 20 year old male as strong and healthy whereas an old dog like me is thought of as being weak and decrepit. Motors can be thought of in the same vein.

Comment

***, all I asked if anyone had any insight on why the numbers don't match. The engine looks and runs flawless. Im not trying to sell it, was just curious. I have had Yammies with over 3000k hours still running perfect.. I just picked up the software in case I need to ever diagnose down the road...
                  Last edited by Maritime68; 01-19-2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maritime68 View Post
                    ***, all I asked if anyone had any insight on why the numbers don't match. The engine looks and runs flawless. Im not trying to sell it, was just curious. I have had Yammies with over 3000k hours still running perfect.. I just picked up the software in case I need to ever diagnose down the road...
                    Just like my PC at home, my Kindle Fire and most damn near anything else electronic, stuff just screws up from time to time. So who knows why Yam ECU's decide to have a mind of their own. HPDI ECU's were known to have a certain but somewhat different issue regarding the reporting of time.

Sorry if some of us here get worked up over nothing at all. We beez humans. Some are just more human than others.

Nice boat by the way.

Comment

Thanks .. Been a memeber on here for years .. For some reason my password would not work anymore and when they said they emailed it to me never got an email. Tried it like 20 times. Must be some glitch. So made a new profile

Yea the maritime is a great boat. I'm getting 4-5 mpg

Comment

typically, engine hours mean jack squat on an outboard.
                        some make 10,000 hrs,some fail at less than 250.
                        3 things I can say
                        1 my crystal ball is busted and out of warrenty and I cannot afford to fix it.

2 I lost my magic wand,I think the elf riding the unicorn may have been involved.
                        3 my shirt says maytag no where.

just like back in the day, a timingchain/gear assy typically lasted about 75K miles.

some did not make 50K some made just over 100K.

all failed.

Comment

Yep most Mopar Texas highway units back then lasted about 75K.
                          They started bringing them in for a change before they stranded them on the roads eventually.
                          I changed many of them.
                          Stupid plastic they put on those gears fell off and chain jumped time.
                          I am sure all or most other makes did it too.
                          we always reinstalled full metal gears and I never thought they ran any louder than the plastic coated ones.
                          That was the reason they put them in according to what I was lead to believe.

Kind of reminds me of the balencer problems yamaha has

Comment

This raises the point that only after time that anything can actually be verified.
                            When a new engine is marketed usually the maintenance and lenght of service is laid down. There is really no way that we can predict the future but is done all the time. How can we predict something will last for 25yrs when the development time was nowhere near this.
                            I'ts experience down the track that tells us how long and under what conditions things last and what to do when to maximise component lives. With this gained knowledge, it is silly to continue to blindly follow a manual that was written before these things were known.

Comment

I agree, but if there were problems with plastic in the past

Comment

Working...
                              X