No announcement yet.

Showa tilt trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's shown above is obviously for the trim caps.

Its the same procedure BUT you have to modify the PVC some for the tilt shaft.

Get some PVC piping, schedule 40 should be plenty.

You want the ID of the PVC a little bit larger as THAT WILL be resting on your spanner.

Cut the PVC pipe, a SLOT, LENGTHWISE. That slot will slip over your tilt shaft. (with the engine up so you have access to it)

**Once the spanner is in place, tilt the motor down just enough to keep pressure on the spanner with the PVC.. Have at it.

If you clamp the PVC down with a vise grip, you can carefully cut that slot with a circular saw set very shallow.

Make sense?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Well i kind of had success got the tool to stay in place thought i had the cap coming undone took the tool off and its making the hole bigger now its more a oval shape hole now not round .

Ive borrowed a heat gun but do heat guns take off the paint like a oxy will ?

Comment

Originally posted by oswald900;114474
        Ive borrowed a heat gun but [B
        do heat guns take off the paint[/B] like a oxy will ?
        Heat guns WILL take paint off if left pointed at the part long enough. It CAN get extremely hot which is why it works so well...

I suspect you'll be replacing the cap / seals anyway, so some spray touch up paint can make it look new. Especially when the unit is pretty much hidden all the time.

I'd be more concerned getting that cap off rather than the paint... If that cap gets buggered up, to save the paint, you have a whole new can of worms....
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X