05 YAMAHA 60 2 stroke problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 YAMAHA 60 2 stroke problem

My first post, if I'm not following guidelines please let me know! Thanks for allowing me to join.
    Have owned several YAMAHA motors, in fact it's the only brand I plan to ever own. Some have been new, I.E. 1-40, 1-60 , 2-90 2 strokes and 1-150 4 stroke.
    Most recently an 05 2-stroke 60. I really like the 3 cal YAMMI 2 strokes. 4 stroke is the ultimate but still kinda heavy. However if I cold afford a new motor I probably would go with a 60 4 stroke, considering weight limitations on current boat. O'k sorry to ramble!!! My problem
    Bought current boat, a while ago. Finally started and launched it. It ran great! We have had it out 4-5 times with no problems at all until......Last time out we were on plane fine, had been 3-4 miles when all of a sudden I lost #2 cyl. Tried this and that. I had a can of starting fluid, remover carbs cover, while wife was driving. Squirted a quick squirt in #2 and if fired immediately for a second. I said ok its lack of fuel. Go home sure enough pull plug wire while it's running def. not firing. Pull plug it was wet. buy new plugs, same deal. Remove all 3 carbs, (have rebuilt several in past). Piece of dirt in main jet, #2 partially plugging. Small area of oxidation, for lack of better word bottom corner of fuel bowl. Clean it out, remove float, jet etc. used carb cleaner, blew out all passageways etc. Decided to do same to all 3 carbs. Note: new fuel filter, had previously replaced fuel lines form tank. No water.
    Replace the carbs etc started engine. Remember had no fire #2 Cal before. Now #2 is the only one that fires!!! No fire #1 and #3!! Appears no spark #3 and VERY weak #1. I take compression test my gauge SAYS only 30 PSI all 3! Compression should have nothing to do with spark right? Seems impossible to me as motor runs on #2 on hose and #2 only. I will say it seems quite strong on #2. I say if the 30 PSI was correct it wouldn't run on any. Also PSI the same all 3 I suspect gauge is screwed. Swapped plugs and coils from alll cyls around, same thing, runs on #2 only.
    Removed cleaned all 3 again will put on and try again today. MAY of had small speck in jet #1. Makes no sense to me!
    Any ideas?? Thanks for any suggestions.

test the ignition system
    Peak voltages into and out of the CDI to see if everything meets specs.
    if all shows good, then deal with fuel.

also get a better compression gauge
    Get a service manual for your motor so you know what the specs are.
    and make sure you do the link and sync procedure after reinstalling the carbs

Comment

Thanks but pretty cut and dry reinstalling the carbs. Appreciate it.

Comment

Best guess….seeing as it was OK before you fooled around with the carbs, then you have not done the carbs right. Not fully clear on your no fire business, do you mean no spark, or that the cylinder is not firing?

Comment

Appreciate all of the feedback. I'm quite sure as far as the compression goes my gauge while only being used twice...is junk. IF the compression was really 30 in all 3 cals it wouldn't run on any cal! plus almost unheard of for compression to drop from acceptable (engine ran great) to 30 in all 3 all at once. AT this point compression is not my #1 concern.
          2/ Removed carbs again, disassembled, found one little speck of dirt in #2...The cylinder that was firing!! Re-installed, again runs strong on #2, very little - nothing 1 + 3. Thought about what 99yam40 said about syncing the carbs. As I said before I have removed/disassembled carbs on 3 previous 3 cal Yamaha's before and never had any problems. BUT I'm going out now to Sync them, I bet that is the problem. Will follow up with report in an hr or so. Again thanks everyone....fantastic forum!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tunaman1! View Post
            My first post, if I'm not following guidelines please let me know! Thanks for allowing me to join.
            Have owned several YAMAHA motors, in fact it's the only brand I plan to ever own. Some have been new, I.E. 1-40, 1-60 , 2-90 2 strokes and 1-150 4 stroke.
            Most recently an 05 2-stroke 60. I really like the 3 cal YAMMI 2 strokes. 4 stroke is the ultimate but still kinda heavy. However if I cold afford a new motor I probably would go with a 60 4 stroke, considering weight limitations on current boat. O'k sorry to ramble!!! My problem
            Bought current boat, a while ago. Finally started and launched it. It ran great! We have had it out 4-5 times with no problems at all until......Last time out we were on plane fine, had been 3-4 miles when all of a sudden I lost #2 cyl. Tried this and that. I had a can of starting fluid, remover carbs cover, while wife was driving. Squirted a quick squirt in #2 and if fired immediately for a second. I said ok its lack of fuel. Go home sure enough pull plug wire while it's running def. not firing. Pull plug it was wet. buy new plugs, same deal. Remove all 3 carbs, (have rebuilt several in past). Piece of dirt in main jet, #2 partially plugging. Small area of oxidation, for lack of better word bottom corner of fuel bowl. Clean it out, remove float, jet etc. used carb cleaner, blew out all passageways etc. Decided to do same to all 3 carbs. Note: new fuel filter, had previously replaced fuel lines form tank. No water.
            Replace the carbs etc started engine. Remember had no fire #2 Cal before. Now #2 is the only one that fires!!! No fire #1 and #3!! Appears no spark #3 and VERY weak #1. I take compression test my gauge SAYS only 30 PSI all 3! Compression should have nothing to do with spark right? Seems impossible to me as motor runs on #2 on hose and #2 only. I will say it seems quite strong on #2. I say if the 30 PSI was correct it wouldn't run on any. Also PSI the same all 3 I suspect gauge is screwed. Swapped plugs and coils from alll cyls around, same thing, runs on #2 only.
            Removed cleaned all 3 again will put on and try again today. MAY of had small speck in jet #1. Makes no sense to me!
            Any ideas?? Thanks for any suggestions.
            I do not see how no spark on #3 and weak spark on #1 could be fixed by messing with the carbs.
            you need good spark at the correct time , before the fuel can be ignited

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I do not see how no spark on #3 and weak spark on #1 could be fixed by messing with the carbs.
              Obviously!! And THAT is my problem!!

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Obviously!! And THAT is my problem!! Weak to no spark on 1 and 3 as far as I can tell.

Comment

Can someone please tell me how to delete a post?

Comment

Working...
                  X