Bringing 225 TRXX back to life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing 225 TRXX back to life

1993 225 trxx. Put it "away" about 5 years ago. Thought it was going back in use in a short period of time- now 5 years later I'm ready to use it.
    Here's the problem- I did nothing to preserve motor at that time.

I've cleaned rebuilt carbs, fuel pumps and new plugs. Checking all adjustments ,etc now. Engine is on stand in shop so easy to access everything at this moment.

Should I be pulling the oil tank(s) apart and cleaning them> Should I change fuel lines, oil lines. etc?

Surprisingly the carbs were very clean for being "abandoned" Everything still looks good throughout the motor (wiring, lines, etc)-but we all know how that can go.

So this leads me to ask for advice and suggestions on whether I should start replacing parts, or get the thing fired up to see if I have any problems. Also, should I spray some wd-40, etc in cylinders before I try to turn motor over (even by hand)?

Thanks for everyone's input and advice

testing compression would be on my list,
    without fogging the motor for storage, you may have rusted cylinders/rings, and crank journals along with rod bearings
    there is a reason for fogging before storage.
    pull the plugs and borescope the cylinder, no way to check crank and bearings.
    if cylinders look OK squirt some 2 stroke oil in them and hope for the best

Comment

just start it on mix 1:50 and see what happened

Comment

Sorry for delayed reply. When I posted this the site said it did not post so I gave up.

Did the above recommendations, Motor came to life without problem

If you look back several years, this is a motor I was given because it was fouling at low rpm. I got the motor back to almost 98% I'd say. Motor was completely usable for my needs . (Ended up replacing 2 coils backs then)

Since I've started using it again the problem has slowly resurfaced. At under 1800 rpm's boat shakes and floods excessively (almost like it's not running on all cylinders), above1800-2000 it's like it kicks into gear and runs like it should.

I did go through the carbs before I started it. I did not check the enrichment valve/system. (don't have the proper tool at the moment)

Been slowly working through the factory manual, but I'm not a Yamaha tech (and book was obviously written for a Yamaha tech) so I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing and results accuracy.

Two things I'm trying to clarify- Throttle position senso- when trying to adjust this it seems almost impossible to get it set to .50. Just tighening the screws moves the adjustment out of spec. Is this that sensitive or could this be a problem?
        Secondly timing- Timing is electronically con*****ed so not adjustable. Currently don't have dial indicator to set/check timing, but have crudely tried with a calipers set to the required setting (think it's 3.05 mm) and try to get it close that way (I understand a little off is a long way off in this scenio). When I check timing with timing light my pulse isn;t reading anywhere on the scaled printed on the flywheel.

Looking for guidance and suggestions- or more helpful would be a local mechanic that can actually work on this thing. All the current "techs" are younger than the motor and have informed me it isn't worth anything. Plus (one actually told me this) can't hook his computer up so no way to figure out what's wrong

Comment

does the flywheel have TDC marked for each cylinder?
          use a white paint marker to make those easy to see with a timing light, and then hook timing light to each plug wire to see if any are close to the idle timing.
          if they all are way out I would think the CDI has gone bad.
          ( am guessing the CDI is what controls the timing)
          if just some of the cylinders are out of time ,maybe the pulsar coils that tell it when to fire may have a problem,

also can you look again to see what motor you have?
          There is no such thing as a 1993 225 TRXX

Last edited by 99yam40; 1 week ago.

Comment

You have the timing light hooked to #1 plug wire?

Comment

Timing light hooked to what I assume is #1 cylinder (uppermost cylinder when viewing the motor from behind)

Did not check other plug wires/cylinder with timing light- I will do that later today. Flywheel does have several white markings and (I believe) does indicate a cylinder number for these markings.

This evening I plan on trying to mess with his motor a little more. I'll check the individual cylinders for timing and double check the data tags on mounting brackets to verify I am giving accurate engine information about the engine model

Everyone;s help is appreciated

Comment

Working...
              X