Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor Reed Intake Yamaha 9.9 -> 15hp

Hi guys, new on the forum here!

Was hoping I could get some insight as to what part I "need" to order.

I have a 9.9 Yamaha 2-stroke from 2006 if I've understood the model numer correctly.
    Of course I've seen some videos where you convert a 9.9 to a 15hp by replacing the reed intake (and possibly something else, i dont know)... and Im kind of stuck when it comes to all the parts numbers and stuff.
    What do I need to order to convert my 9.9 2-stroke to a 15hp 2-stroke?

image.jpg?ex=668d9c14&is=668c4a94&hm=72c8181d787219819dd937b37badc6eed1f93de148d6357963d1e5f1a5ebfbb8&.jpg

Oh, forgot to mention, I've been looking some at the yamaha parts catalogue but am not sure what to look for.
    See below picture: 123.png

Comment

What country are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        What country are you in?
        Im from Sweden

Comment

You open two Yamaha parts catalogs. One for your specific model. Then the other for a 15 with the same letters as on your 9.9.

Compare the parts used in the 9.9 with those used in the 15. Remove the 9.9 peculiar parts and replace them with the 15 peculiar parts.

Comment

You open two Yamaha parts catalogs. One for your specific model. Then the other for a 15 with the same letters as on your 9.9.

Compare the parts used in the 9.9 with those used in the 15. Remove the 9.9 peculiar parts and replace them with the 15 peculiar parts.
            All right, thanks. Will do that. Do you have any experience in swapping out the reed intakes? Is it worth it, as in; Will there be a significant increase in torque? From what I understand reading up on it online there seems to be mixed feelings. Some say it does increase power (apparently they also say its the same motor with different reed intakes, is that really true?), and some say its not worth it as it can possibly break the engine. Im not sure what to make of it all.

Thanks for taking time, I really do appreciate it
            /Broder

Comment

Also, Im checking the parts catalogue, according to the parts catalogue it seems to be the same reed valve assembly as the 9.9 version, how does that make sense?

For my model, the 9.9 FMHL, there are 3 different versions of the reed valve assembly with "remarks" listed as follows:
              1. no remarks
              2. "FOR NOR-L"
              3. "9.9F:FOR NOR-S"

Not sure what to make of that either...

Comment

I am in the US. Usually use the Yamaha US parts catalog. Do you have a link to the parts catalogs you are using? Hopefully in English. My Norwegian is weak.

From my comparison of a USA 2006 9.9MSH parts catalog with a 15MSH parts catalog the only difference I see in the reed valve assembly. Different part numbers.

The results seen after the conversion seem to be related to the boat type.

There will be no harm to the motor from making the conversion. Many Yamaha modes use slightly different parts to get more or less HP.
                Last edited by boscoe99; 07-08-2024, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Comment

I am in the US. Usually use the Yamaha US parts catalog. Do you have a link to the parts catalogs you are using? Hopefully in English. My Norwegian is weak.

From my comparison of a USA 2006 9.9MSH parts catalog with a 15MSH parts catalog the only difference I see in the reed valve assembly. Different part numbers.

The results seen after the conversion seem to be related to the boat type.

There will be no harm to the motor from making the conversion. Many Yamaha modes use slightly different parts to get more or less HP.
                    Yup!
                    9.9:

https://ypec-sss.yamaha-motor.co.jp/...d-4154e5866f77

15:

https://ypec-sss.yamaha-motor.co.jp/...d-4154e5866f77

Comment

Seems you are right, sloppy reading on the part number on my part...

Attached Files

Comment

Links don't work for me. V's can be confused with W's.

Comment

Working...
                        X