Power Tilt Will Not Hold Motor Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tilt Will Not Hold Motor Down

I just replaced all the tilt and trim rod seals and O-rings on a 98 yamaha vmax 225 model #v225tlrw. Got it all put back together and now the motor will trim/tilt up and down fine, but I can grab onto the motor and tilt it up, like all the way up not just a few inches. When I lower the motor it goes right to the position where the power tilt/trim left it. So if the motor is halfway down I can grab onto it and lift it all the way up but when I lower it it stops at halfway down. What is suppose to hold the motor down? Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe something went wrong with the manual release valve between taking it apart and putting it back together. Any help would be appreciated.

I am thinking you did not get the spring/check balls installed correctly in the tilt piston. if it was a leaking manual valve it would not trim up well and would drift back down all by itself.

Comment

finally found another post about this and that has to be the problem, gonna tear it back apart for the 3rd time and hopefully will be good to go, thanks for the advice, for anyone else here is the link to the post i found about this

200hp OX 66 tilt cylinder problem - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Comment

other than they are on yamaha's, the vx225 and the sx200 don't share the same trim/tilt.

couple that will a positively WRONG bleeding procedure and all a professional tech can do is face palm.

to check the trim fluid,tilt the motor up and set it on the locks.
        unscew the fill port.
        fluid should be at the bottom of the threads.
        top off as nessasary.
        cycle the system and recheck.
        those 5 little balls and springs with the rods are what prevents the motor to drift up.

Comment

Yep, just finished and it's all good. When I took the nut off of the tilt rod and removed the piston those 4 tiny little balls came unseated. I pulled the springs, pins and steel balls out and reinstalled them making sure the steel balls covered the holes in the piston, buttoned it all back up and it's runnin' like a champ. To anyone else who reads this if you have to remove the tilt rod piston watch out for this because if you put it back together with those little steel balls not seated properly your motor will bounce up freely and the only way to fix it is to tear the damn thing back apart. Thanks for the help Redblot.

Comment

one may think I have actually had a 61a unit(both variants) apart before.

glad its working again.

Comment

Working...
            X