Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a used boat/engine for family

Hello,
    I am hoping I can get some opinions and advise: I am looking at buying my first boat from a dealership - 2013 Hurricane 188 Sundeck with a 150hp Yamaha outboard engine. This engine has 1500 hours on it - I have asked to see at what RPM's these hours have been ran under and I am told 3,000 to 4,000 for the vast majority of those hours - My use for this boat will be as follows: family of 4 on a 32 mile around lake in which I will be using the boat/engine for mostly cruising but some tubing and fishing. Should I be worried about the # of hours. Thank you in advance for any advise and wisdom.

what year/model is the 150?

Fresh water or Salt water?

any service records on the engine?

Visible condition?

Compression Test #'s
    Last edited by CatCam; 12-04-2015, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakelure View Post
      Hello,
      I am hoping I can get some opinions and advise: I am looking at buying my first boat from a dealership - 2013 Hurricane 188 Sundeck with a 150hp Yamaha outboard engine. This engine has 1500 hours on it - I have asked to see at what RPM's these hours have been ran under and I am told 3,000 to 4,000 for the vast majority of those hours - My use for this boat will be as follows: family of 4 on a 32 mile around lake in which I will be using the boat/engine for mostly cruising but some tubing and fishing. Should I be worried about the # of hours. Thank you in advance for any advise and wisdom.
      I would be very cautious 1500 hrs at 3000 to 4000 rpm is a lot of hammering.

Comment

if well maintained, it aint broke in yet.

have a leakdown test done.
        DO NOT do a compression test.

have the gearcase pressure tested.

take it out for a seatrial.
        at the seatrial load it and make sure it will turn 5800+ RPM.

Comment

Working...
        X