2007 Yamaha F225 bogging down after fuel injector cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Yamaha F225 bogging down after fuel injector cleaning

Hello, I know there are a few posts similar to this one but I can be specific about what is going on and when it started.

About a 6 weeks ago my mechanic removed my injectors to have them sent to be reconditioned. The boat wasn't picking up speed after about 3/4 throttle so he thought it was the injectors. After he removed the injectors the system sat open for about a month before the mechanic finally reinstalled the injectors. He told me that I picked up 10 CFM on 4 of them and that they are good now. He told me that while doing the work he noticed I had a high pressure fuel leak he fixed and that one of my fuel filters under the cowl was pretty bad so he replaced. I didn't have my prop on when he tested after installation so all he could do what run at the dock. Told me he ran the boat for about 20 minutes and sounded better. That weekend I went over to run it a little and put in more fuel. I took it out in high winds and it didn't seem any better than it was before. I put in 30 gallons of fuel and the next morning took it out to fish. After about 30 minutes of running the boat bogged down. I dropped the throttle and reapplied and it picked back up for a little bit. A short while later it did it again. Then for the next 2 hrs of fishing it would bog down over 3/4 throttle. On the trip back to the dock it would run over 3/4 throttle but I noticed the outboard was shaking a little and didn't sound as smooth.
    So the question is. What could have happened? Water in the outboard from it sitting open? He didn't install something right? Fuel injector got damaged?

could be a lot of things, but monitoring the fuel pressures would be the 1st thing I did while problem showed up.

Stuff from the tank or lines can plug up filters and injectors when fire up.
    putting some fresh fuel in does not get rid of the bad

Comment

The problem didn't show up until after the work was done. Therefore, wouldn't that limit what it could be?

And I didn't state I put fuel in to try and fix the problem. Simply stating the order I did things and giving a complete story. The day I took it out it didn't bog down but didn't feel 100% either. I put fuel in that day because I was going fishing early the next morning. I put gas treatment in every time.

Comment

Junk motors

you fools just don't get the simple FACT that a four stroke outboard is a BIG problem hanging on your transom....LOL.. Ya,,, I know some Yahoos are gonna give me flak,,because they spent Soo,,SOO much money on these poor excuse's for a marine motor.. guess what??? two strokes outboards have been the motor of choice for boats for how long ??? and go to ANY boat race.....guess what the boys are running??????? mercury two strokes... NOW argue with that simple FACT !!! jeeez

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
          you fools just don't get the simple FACT that a four stroke outboard is a BIG problem hanging on your transom....LOL.. Ya,,, I know some Yahoos are gonna give me flak,,because they spent Soo,,SOO much money on these poor excuse's for a marine motor.. guess what??? two strokes outboards have been the motor of choice for boats for how long ??? and go to ANY boat race.....guess what the boys are running??????? mercury two strokes... NOW argue with that simple FACT !!! jeeez
          Pretty nasty post Keith..

Just curious as to why you even post here?? *****ing??

I too, like the two strokes, but fuel wise, noise, NO COMPARISON. I guess your stuck with '80's technology.

As for Mercury's, I'd rather paddle then have a Mercury on my transom..

In 8 years of ownership of my FIRST 4 stroke (don't care for the extra weight), the only issue was a starter relay. NOTHING ELSE...

Comparing racing engines (Mercury or any other) to everyday use engines for John Doe is like comparing Indy car engines to your 200HP SUV engine... John Doe doesn't rebuild his engine after every X hours of run time or every other race...

**Instead of posting to everyone with an issue to get a Mercury engine (which ain't gonna happen), maybe some helpful words or nothing at all.
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-04-2015, 10:01 AM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by davepjr71 View Post
            The boat wasn't picking up speed after about 3/4 throttle....

I took it out in high winds and it didn't seem any better than it was before.
            Originally posted by davepjr71 View Post
            The problem didn't show up until after the work was done.
            You mentioned you had issues, which is why your mechanic had the injectors cleaned. So the problem WAS there before the work. So it sounds like this is just a continuation of the original problem.

Do you have a boat-mounted filter? Check and/or replace that - looking for water, or just being clogged up from a dirty tank. What about other filters?

If you can monitor the fuel pressure as mentioned (or vacuum, as I just learned about on another thread), that will check a couple things all at once. If you're not getting enough fuel to the engine...???

Could leaving the system open for a month cause another problem? Can't say - there's not enough information given to answer. The answer could be anywhere from "no way" to "absolutely".
            Last edited by DennisG01; 12-04-2015, 12:33 PM.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
            X