Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 T60 NMEA 2000 to Garmin no longer communicating

Hi all,

I had the NMEA2000 system successfully communicating between my 2021 T60 Yamaha and my 8312 Garmin sounder (RPM, Fuel usage etc). It's a simple setup, NMEA Starter Kit & Yamaha Engine Interface Cable for NMEA2000. Only 3 backbone T- pieces in use, 1 x 12v in, 1 x to sounder & 1 x input from outboard.

Last outing I noticed I no longer had communication to the sounder, I've had a Garmin tech check out all the cabling, swapped out all the NMEA cables and Tee's except for the Yamaha interface cable, checked the 12v input fuse, and checked the resistance on the interface cable but still no joy.

Has anyone had a similar issue they've managed to fix or is there some way of checking if the BUS connector on the outboard is actually sending the signals it's supposed to be?

Any assistance or suggested greatly appreciated.

AFAIK, other than an oscilloscope, there is no way to directly check for the "signal"

You can look on the Garmin to see if it recognizes being connected to the engine:
    the menu would be something like
    Settings > Communications > NMEA 2000 > NMEA 2000 Setup > NMEA 2000 Device List

if the connection is good, and powered (and the engine on)
    you should see the Yamaha listed
    Do you?

I have never heard of a Yamaha ECM failing to transmit Command Link?NMEA 2000
    - and still otherwise function perfectly to operate the engine -
    but I suppose its possible...

I can't recall coming across a Garmin "8312" model;
    in recent years GPSMAP models have, in addition to NMEA 2000,
    a J1939 port which can also connect to a Yamaha engine.
    (connects exactly the same way)

If your MFD does, you might try moving the drop cable to the J1939 connector
    and see if that "connects"

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
      AFAIK, other than an oscilloscope, there is no way to directly check for the "signal"

You can look on the Garmin to see if it recognizes being connected to the engine:
      the menu would be something like
      Settings > Communications > NMEA 2000 > NMEA 2000 Setup > NMEA 2000 Device List

if the connection is good, and powered (and the engine on)
      you should see the Yamaha listed
      Do you?

I have never heard of a Yamaha ECM failing to transmit Command Link?NMEA 2000
      - and still otherwise function perfectly to operate the engine -
      but I suppose its possible...

I can't recall coming across a Garmin "8312" model;
      in recent years GPSMAP models have, in addition to NMEA 2000,
      a J1939 port which can also connect to a Yamaha engine.
      (connects exactly the same way)

If your MFD does, you might try moving the drop cable to the J1939 connector
      and see if that "connects"
      Thanks for your reply Fairdeal.

Regarding the 'Device List' it's no longer showing the Yamaha as a connected device.

Sorry the model was a typo, it's an GPSMap 8412, I hadn't tried the J1939 port but will try and see if anything shows up.
      The frustrating thing is that it was working fine but I've no idea what has caused it to no longer communicate??

Comment

Originally posted by Munga_12 View Post

Thanks for your reply Fairdeal.

Regarding the 'Device List' it's no longer showing the Yamaha as a connected device.

Sorry the model was a typo, it's an GPSMap 8412, I hadn't tried the J1939 port but will try and see if anything shows up.
        The frustrating thing is that it was working fine but I've no idea what has caused it to no longer communicate??
        You wrote you didn’t check the Yamaha interface cable? Take it from me, I’ve been burned by assuming a particular wire is fine. “It’s only a year old!”

Comment

Working...
        X