95 yamaha 115 stalling at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 yamaha 115 stalling at idle

We are failry new to the boat ownership world, but have been stalking the forums for a while just learning. I will give you some history in a few, but in the meantime, the currnet immediate problem is she will stall at idle, and now won't start without some help (starting fluid). Can get her running good and goes great at speed, but as soon as you drop it down we stall.

The history:

Bought her, ran great during our test run. Then took her out for a few hours, ran perfect. Next trip, not so good and learned the value of SeaTow real fast. Water in the tank. Water sepearator had a ton of water in it. Replaced gas cap which clearly had a bad o-ring and didnt fit properly. Also sealed around sending unit at tank as there appeared to be water able to get into tank compartment due to bad gasket at deck opening. We drained the tank 40 gallons of fuel, that was fun!), I got every drop of everything out of it - with confidence. Put 12 gallons in - ethanol free. Got her running, but couldnt keep her running.. appeared to be starved for fuel. So we began a process of elimination. Replaced primer bulb, and fuel pump. Problem remained. Then I bypassed water seperator and ran fuel line from motor to portable tank (was trying to bypass antisyphon valve to eliminate it as the culprit). Still Couldnt get her running right so we took carbs off, cleaned them. Now she runs fine but stalls at idle and won't start on her own. Still have it connected to portable tank, and the fuel intake appears to be ok.

What am I missing? Thoughts and ideas are appreciated!

Thanks

Different engine but very similar issue.

Please read this thread;

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...tml#post112757

Also, when you cleaned the carbs, did you PULL all the jets, especially the idle jet and look thru them? If you didn't see light thru them, it don't count...

Your carb fisch with the top plate and jets shown;
    http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-29-2015, 09:00 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I would guess that the carburetors are now contaminated. There are some very small passageways within the carburetors, particularly in the low speed circuit side, and it would not take much to clog them up. I suspect they need to be cleaned. The motors are near 20 years old. It would not surprise me that they were in need of a cleaning before you had water in the fuel supply.

Comment

if you failed to rebuild/replace the water pump and carefully flush all the fuel lines you instantly recontaminate the carbs.

sounds like your going to get to do them again.

water in the gas tank bites.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          if you failed to rebuild/replace the water pump and carefully flush all the fuel lines you instantly recontaminate the carbs.

Fuel pump??
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            Fuel pump??
            Methinks rodnut must have had a bit of hootch in his water.

But I don't throw rocks at folks that live in glass houses. I once too made a faux pas.

My brain, deficient that it may be (I am a product of the sixties), is usually way ahead of my stiffening fingers.

Parts that need to be stiff are not so much with me anymore. Other parts are stiffening when not desired.

Comment

Just clarifying for the Op...
              Scott

Comment

fuel pump it is.
                I was still having nightmares from the last water in the tank.
                that was last week.

Comment

Yes we replaced the fuel pump - that was the first thing we did.

Comment

when cleaning ,you simply cannot splatter gun it,
                    it must be all done at the same time or its a waste of time.
                    you can rebuild the carbs at breakfast,introduce contaminated fuel at lunch, guess whats for dinner???

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      when cleaning ,you simply cannot splatter gun it,
                      it must be all done at the same time or its a waste of time.
                      you can rebuild the carbs at breakfast,introduce contaminated fuel at lunch, guess whats for dinner???
                      Not fish !!

Comment

Just following up on this old post, what resolved the issue ?

Comment

Working...
                        X