Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth rebuilding a 2007 F250 Lower Unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth rebuilding a 2007 F250 Lower Unit?

On a run up the coast, my 2007 F250 (right hand prop) starting making some loud noises and I noticed an oily sheen in the water near the lower unit (LU).

I shut down the engine and came in on the other F250. My mechanic says the lower unit is shot due to lack of oil and/or striking something which trashed the gears.

With the help of insurance (30' long Six pack charter boat), my Mechanic had a new LU installed in a few days. Cost me just under $4K for the LU + Installation (pending insurance claim $).

Question:

For my future use as a spare or later sale, should I have someone disassemble and re-build the "broken" lower unit? Like have new gears and seals installed? Vacuum and pressure test it?

I'm asking my Mechanic to return the broken LU back to me because I would think, at a minimum, the aluminum cast body (after a good de-grease ) is worth something at a recycling center. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by HMBJack; 11-29-2015, 11:29 AM.
    Grady-White 330 Express

Unless it is properly inspected, cost to repair is unknown, might be cheap, might scare the pants off you! Either way, it's worth a look.

Comment

Depending on what's damaged inside.

Here's a parts fisch to give you an idea on parts costs, gears, bearings, etc plus labor.

2006 and Later F250TXR Yamaha Outboard LOWER CASING DRIVE 1 F250 Diagram and Parts

In any case, if you have room for it, store it and should you break another case(or certain internal parts), you have one to replace it with..

Notice the cost of a new entire LU here, discounted...A bit cheaper..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It may have messed up the housing also,
        depends on what went south and what all got damaged.
        They pay more per pound for cans than cast .
        If it has any steel etc. is in housing it is even less

Comment

Thanks.

All I know is the oil came out jet black and the engine was making a pretty loud noise before I shut it down.
          Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

it wouldn't be worth repairing it but might come in handy foe parts esp the casing if you happened to damage it in near future

Comment

I think a good mechanic would have already suggested this to you and checked it out but my concern would be why did the failure happen and is it likely to happen on the other engine. So, in case he did not suggest it, I just did.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice and input.

While it seemed like a good idea at the time, I decided NOT to retain and rebuild my Lower Unit. You guys probably saved me a few headaches - so again - Thank you for that!
                Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Working...
                X