Choke help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke help.

I have a 95 150 hp. It and Yamaha RE new to me, it seams the choke on the engine is working properly but the key (pumping it) and the toggle under the key are not assisting.

I do hear a click in the engine when i pump the key, but that is all. I does not appear to help in the starting.

After sitting a short time, after a run, we have to pull engine choke to restart.

I need help in trouble shooting this.

how far you advance throttle when starting engine?

Comment

Need to inspect the choke plates to see if they are closing when you hear the click

Comment

I have the throttle advanced about 1/2 way between neutral and full and I will check out the plate to see if it closes.

I am used to an Johnson, is it true that you do not click the key to give it a gas shot?

Comment

My old 35 Johnson squirted a little fuel in the carb when I pushed the key in, but nothing like that on the yamahas I have seen.
          If that is what you are asking

Comment

Originally posted by Fountaine View Post
            I have the throttle advanced about 1/2 way between neutral and full and I will check out the plate to see if it closes.

I am used to an Johnson, is it true that you do not click the key to give it a gas shot?
            Per your parts fisch:

1995 150TLRT Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

you do not have an accelerator pump, just the butterfly choke. However you activate the butterfly choke (probably pushing in the key) is it...

As posted above, pull the cover and see if the solenoid is shutting the butterfly's.

Shutting the butterflys and generally adjusting the idle(at the control) up slightly would likely be the cold start up procedure...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks everyone. Through the forum I learned that the Yamaha doe not squirt fuel like my other engines. My trying to start the Yamaha like it was an Johnson just didn't work.

Went out a little while and it did the job......Thanks to you all.

Comment

Originally posted by Fountaine View Post
                Thanks everyone. Through the forum I learned that the Yamaha doe not squirt fuel like my other engines. My trying to start the Yamaha like it was an Johnson just didn't work.
                Yep, been there done that. My 94 P115 has a toggle switch below the key switch, which you have to hold while turning the key. There is also a manual choke lever in the front starboard of the engine cowl that you can just pull till engine starts then push back in. I'm close to my engine, so either one is about equal in convenience. If the electronic choke solenoid ever goes, I'll just do it manually.

If you ever have to remove the carb air silencer, the circlip that connects the choke solenoid lever to the carb is tiny and hard to grab and reconnect. I work in a straw floor barn and if that piece were to fall on the ground it would be lost. Fortunately is somewhat magnetic.
                1993 Mako 161 Flats, 1994 P115TLRS

Comment

Working...
                X