Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Stroke issues after sitting

Hey guys,

I've got a 2002 Yamaha 30hp 2 stroke oil injection and it's been giving me issues since I pulled it out of storage. I've cleaned out the carbs, checked the oil pump, new spark plugs, new fuel pump diaphragm, checked the compression (all 3 cylinders were around 70psi, it's a pull start so that's probably as high as it will get I think). I also flushed out all the old oil in the injection system and put new yamaha brand oil in.

Anyways I've still got an issue where it will miss on at least 3 or 4 cycles in a row every 2-3 seconds. It will be running fine and then the revs drop drastically, usually it picks itself up and then runs fine but sometimes it stalls after that.

I've put an inline spark checker on and can't notice any loss of spark on any of the cylinders when it happens so I think I've ruled out ignition issues.

Also it blows a bit of white smoke at idle, and quite a lot of white smoke when you rev it up.

I've got a timing light but I haven't been able to hook it up because it doesn't really have an alternator and I don't have a spare 12v battery lying around. I've got it in a spot now though where I can move my car up to it so I'll try that later today and see how it goes, but like I said I don't think it's an ignition issue.

Anyone got any ideas?

Could be an air leak somewhere in the fuel system, check filters/O-rings, quick disconnect of fuel line(O-ring), fuel pick-up in tank.....also check that your fuel tank vent is open....

Comment

Just S&G's, drain the carbs with the drain screw and try to catch what comes out. You may some crap left in the lines that made it to the carbs..

When you cleaned the carbs, did you physically pull all the jets, inspect and clean? If you couldn't / didn't see light thru them, it don't count...

Also, do you have the shop manual to check the adjustment of the oil pump? Sounds like its burning (or trying to) alot of oil possibly fouling the spark plugs.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Have you done the link and sync procedure after reinstalling the carbs?

Needs to be done each time the carbs are installed to make sure they are all opening exactly the same.
        Think of each cylinder and carb as as separate motor that are all tied together with the crankshaft. If they are not synced properly they will be fighting each other.

Sounds like you are describing a lean sneeze.
        Did you pull the pilot adjustment screws out when cleaning the carbs to make sure all passages were cleaned?
        And did you set the adjustments to spec in manual?

White smoke can be an indicator of water getting into the combustion chamber.
        Check the plugs for signs of water
        Last edited by 99yam40; 11-01-2015, 08:07 AM.

Comment

O mi

70 psi is whats at issue here !! start with another guage for compression test with WOT during test... if still 70psi You have found the first/main issue...BTW spark plugs are a real indicator of a lot of problems....jeeez ~~

Comment

Working...
          X