Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 703 control box kill switch problem

Hi guys

Iv got a problem with my kill switch and ignition. The boat starts very easy but when I tried to switch it off using the key nothing happened, didn't die when I pulled the kill switch as well. So I replaced my ignition and it was fine. So I took it out the next day and I tested it again before launching and it wouldn't switch off again. So clearly it wasn't the ignition in the 1st place. This is my 1st rebuild so still new at all of this. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

key and kill switch ground the ignition system to keep spark voltage from reaching the plug coils.

Sounds like a bad connection to ground

Comment

So where should I start looking. Should I trace the black wire from kill switch to motor.

Comment

A ground wire comes from the motor to the control box via the ten pin main engine harness. Wire color within the harness is black. That black wire branches into two black wires. One goes to the kill switch and one goes to the ignition switch.

The black wire changes to a white wire when it crosses the kill switch and the ignition switch. When either switch is closed a ground is sent to the CDI on the motor via the white wire. The white wire being grounded causes the motor to stop running.

Might help to open up the control box and disconnect and reconnect the bullet connectors in the white and black wires to help make a better connection. Also, it would not hurt to disconnect and reconnect the ten pin harness coupler in the engine pan several times to try and do the same thing. If and when you know that you are getting a ground signal on the white wire back to the motor you might want to do the same with the connector that attaches to the CDI.

See diagram below.

Comment

Thanks boscoe. Will definitely try the 10pin harness. That makes sense and I haven't tried that yet. Will give it a shot ASAP.

Comment

Working...
          X