Tach Light Stays On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach Light Stays On

Newly installed Tach 6Y5-8350T 83 00 and noticed that the illumination light stayed on when the motor was shut off and ignition key removed. I disconnected the purple wire that disabled the light. Curious as to why the light stayed on.

The light stayed on because the tachometer light is connected to a wire that has direct battery power and not key on power.

From a Yamaha key switch a mini Yamaha harness is used to power the gauges. That harness also normally is used to provide power for the tachometer internal lighting. The wire color will be yellow, not purple. Power is applied to the yellow wire only when the key is in the on position.

Purple is normally used by Mercury for their ignition wire. Not sure where that wire comers from in your boat. I presume the boat was not originally set up for a Yamaha motor, correct?

Comment

I'm not familiar with this tach. Is there a control on the meter to turn the light on and off? If not, the light is usually con*****ed by the engine key switch. So it appears that the illumination wire got connected directly to the battery or other circuit that has power with key switch off. Or possibly bad key switch?

Follow the wire and see where it leads to.

Comment

or maybe the blue wire from the tach is wired to his house lights, dash switch maybe...

with the yamaha tach you have the option of connecting the yellow wire with the blue to have the dash illuminate when they are powered by the key.
        02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
        02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Boat is at the marina so will get over there this week, take pics and post.

I repowered with a Yamaha F115 along with the 703 binnacle and stated tach.
          I'm confident it's a minor fix by switching wire connections. Thx.

Comment

Working...
          X