Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Coil

'93 25HP 2 stroke

If the black/white power wire that inserts into the top of the coil pack (primary) has pulled out can it be securely reinstalled? I assume that opening the pack, if at all possible, isnt a good idea. There are tightly wound coils so my guess is they would unwind. This loose connection that has since pulled out completely must be the reason why the engine has been miss firing. Ignition coils aren't cheap though. New one is $140. Can a used one be reconditioned? Also, I saw a few used coils on ebay. These were listed as "tested", though no listing of resistance measurements. Too big of a risk to buy a used one at half the cost?
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

you have messed about with the coils that never fail long enough that you killed it. it is now junk.

care to go for two ?

ya cant blame Yamaha that some fool managed to break the primary windings.

Comment

I would agree with you that opening the top of the coil pack isn't/was't a good idea. That is how we learn however.

Never heard of reconditioning a coil. They either work or they don't. If they don't they are scrap.

Comment

Sorry Rodbolt, not following you. Perhaps my thread gave you the impression that I was messing about with the coil. As I mentioned in the thread, the black/white power wire connecting to the primary coil pulled out. I didn't pull it out. It just came out. Careful inspection of the rubber that insulates the wire at the base of the coil pack was very worn.

And again, sorry, I'm missing your point with your statement of blaming yamaha. Who's blaming yamaha for this coil failure?

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        you have messed about with the coils that never fail long enough that you killed it. it is now junk.

care to go for two ?

ya cant blame Yamaha that some fool managed to break the primary windings.
        Jason

Comment

Hey boscoe thanks for the reply. I did not open coil, though I doubt this is even possible unless you really muscle it open. These 2 coil packs are original, just by the looks of them. It's a '93 engine. 20+ years so having to replace one is no big deal.

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          I would agree with you that opening the top of the coil pack isn't/was't a good idea. That is how we learn however.

Never heard of reconditioning a coil. They either work or they don't. If they don't they are scrap.
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          X