Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oiling Question

Hello fellow mariners,

I was trying to find a thread about no oil transferring from remote tank to engine tank but it seems the replies are deleted for some reason. So I know this will ruffle a few but my Yamaha 225 will not transfer except by toggle switch. The digital tach has three symbols. With key on symbol on left will blink for about 30 seconds then goes solid then center symbol blinks and nothing out of third. Tried pulling sensor from engine tank and manually moving the floats. Bottom float sounds alarm and makes symbol on left flash but top float doesn't have any effect(used dvom and didn't get any resistance change in harness while moving top float like I did with bottom). So do I have a remote tank float problem(thinks tank is low) or a float issue in engine tank. Already replaced rusted out oil transfer pump(old one didn't work anymore) and don't want to throw parts trying to fix this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

fix the circuit/switch for the remote tank.

Comment

The sensor assembly in the boat mounted remote tank has a switch that opens or closes depending upon the float position. Float up, the switch is closed. Float down, the switch is open.

If and when the float is down and the switch is open two things will happen. One, a Yamaha multi-function tachometer will provide the indication that you are seeing. Two, automatic transfer of the oil will stop.

Make sure that the boat mounted remote tank has oil in it. If it does, and the problem persists, then you have a wiring issue.

There are four wires in the harness that runs from the motor to the boat mounted remote oil tank. Two operate the pump. Forget about those because your pump is operating when the toggle switch gets pressed. The other two go to and from the switch in the sensor assembly. The black wire carries a ground reference to the switch. The black/red wire carries the ground reference from the switch to the engine control unit. If the ground is not getting to the switch, across the switch, or back to the control unit then the tachometer will tell you this and the automatic oil transfer system will stop working.

There are connectors involved at each end of the harness from the motor to the boat mounted remote oil tank. These are known hot spots. Check those connections. If the connections are good then make sure that the black wire is grounded all the way from the engine block to the sensor switch, check the switch for opening and closing when the float is down and up, and then check the black/red wire from the sensor switch back to the engine control unit for continuity.

Here is what a typical system may look like. This is from an HPDI. I have no idea what your engine model is since you did not say what it is.

Comment

Gentlemen I really appreciate your help. Found a bad float switch in remote tank. Replaced it this evening and all is functioning well.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. Good or bad it is always appreciated.

Comment

I do have one question about the dash lights. I know what the left and center lights are for but what is the right light?

Comment

After all else fails, read the instructions. Snippet from an owner's manual is below:

Comment

Thanks Boscoe!

Comment

Working...
                X