Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C40PLRU tach settimg 3P or 2P

Title says it all:

Should I set my Sierra Marine Eclipse Tachometer (Sierra Marine Eclipse Tach) to 3P or 2P setting for a 1996 Yamaha C40PLRU 2-stroke engine? I thought it should have been 3P, but the readings were very low... I switched it to 2P and I think they are closer to correct.. but am not sure.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Did you not get instructions with your tach?

3 cylinder Yamaha C40 should be 6 pole
    2 cylinder C40 should be 4 pole

At least that is what I see on here
    http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0086t.pdf

Comment

Sure,it came with instructions - which I read - and they suggested 3P for a 40hp Yamaha.. and made no mention of the cylinders.

You linked to Faria instructions (I don't have a Faria tach) and even they are unclear. They make mention of a C25 - 55 which may cover the C40 at 4 pole, but they also show a C/P/E 30-70 at 6 pole... image attached - see, clear as mud.
      Attached Files

Comment

A 1996 C40 uses a 4 pole set of magnets to create electricity.

Number of cylinders used do not enter into the equation.

Last edited by boscoe99; 09-08-2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drewread View Post
          Sure,it came with instructions - which I read - and they suggested 3P for a 40hp Yamaha.. and made no mention of the cylinders.

You linked to Faria instructions (I don't have a Faria tach) and even they are unclear. They make mention of a C25 - 55 which may cover the C40 at 4 pole, but they also show a C/P/E 30-70 at 6 pole... image attached - see, clear as mud.
          C25 - 55 is denoting a range of models. A C40 fits within that range.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            A 1996 C40 uses a 4 pole set of magnets to create electricity.

Number of cylinders used do not enter into the equation.

Thanks Boscoe, that confirms that I chose the correct option.. What document did that come out of?

Comment

Top document came from a Yamaha tune up specifications book.

Bottom document was a snippet from the document that 99Yam linked us too.

Comment

If you notice in the fiara link the C25- C55 2 cylinder motors are listed as 4 pole

The C30 - C70 3 cylinder motors are 6 pole

I have no idea how many cylinders your motor has, so that is why I posted what I did
                Last edited by 99yam40; 09-08-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Yes, I noticed that, in fact I pointed that out shortly after the link to the Faria manual was posted and mentioned that the whole thing was clear as mud.

Comment

Seems you are having a hard time deciding how many cylinders your motor has or I am miss reading what you write

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      Seems you are having a hard time deciding how many cylinders your motor has or I am miss reading what you write
                      The number of cylinders don't have anything to do with the number of poles, otherwise the C30 would be a 4-pole and not a 6-pole... no?

I'm going with the information from the service manual regardless...

Comment

OK I looked it up and your 1996 C40 motor has 2 cylinders

And the chart I posted shows that a 1984 and newer C40 with just 2 cylinders is a 4 pole

A 1984 and newer C40 with 3 cylinders has 6 poles

I do not see where the problem is with the chart

Now I could understand where the confusion would be when you have to decide between the 2 and 3 settings you listed
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 09-08-2015, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X