Reserve oil tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve oil tank

2001 200 hpdi. I replaced the the cap at the start of the season due to leaking. A couple times out this year I starting blowing heavy white smoke. When I checked the tank was over filled. I drained some oil and it was fine. My question is what causes this? Is it possible I got a bad part?

The reserve tank (in the boat) is manually filled. By you I suppose. I am having a difficult time understanding how it can be getting over filled.

Maybe you are talking about the main engine mounted oil tank. The one with a sensor assembly (comprised of three on/off switches in it) at the top of the tank instead of a cap.

If a switch in the sensor assembly fails then the ECU will not know to stop the automatic transfer of oil. Same thing will happen if the float is stuck in the up position, but then auto transfer would not occur in this case.

Is the boat mounted tank mounted higher than the engine by any chance?

Comment

I'm talking about the tank on the side of the engine.

Comment

The old confusing terminology again, just like "crank" it means different things to different people.

Comment

The chances of getting a bad new part for a bad old part, with the badness being the same, is almost nil.

Did you replace the main oil tank sensor assembly per the service manual instructions? Is the float able to move up and down freely within the tank, underneath the strainer piece?

Does the oil pump in the boat mounted oil tank ever run when the motor is not running? It may be kinda hard to hear. There is a wire that runs from the engine to the boat mounted oil tank pump. If that wire were to get chaffed and then contact a ground point then the oil pump would run constantly. All of the oil in the remote tank would be pumped out and sent to the main engine mounted oil tank. Of course the main engine mounted oil tank would over flow and spill oil into the bottom cowling.

Finally, what is the complete engine serial number.

Comment

Z200txrz the part I replaced was the oil level gauge assembly. Each time the tank over filled it was above the line on the side of tank. The engine then started to smoke heavily. I drained some oil from below the tank and the smoking stopped.

Comment

Obviously, something is not right. The sensor has a switch in it that closes to tell the ECU to stop the automatic transfer of oil.

Does the oil pump run with the key turned on but with the motor not running? If yes, there is the problem.

If not, here is a test to try. First remove the plastic sump from the bottom of the oil tank and drain all of the oil into a clean container. Pour that oil into the boat mounted tank. Make sure the boat mounted tank is at least half full. Reattach and secure the plastic sump. Maybe clean it first.

Remove the sensor assembly from the oil tank. Position it vertically. Have someone turn the key to the on position. The horn should start blaring, a tachometer light should flash, and the remote oil tank pump should come on. You should see oil start to flow into the main oil tank. When the tank is about half full slowly raise the float to slightly above the middle position. The horn and light should stop but the oil should continue to flow. Then raise the float to the top position. The oil pump should turn off. Does it?

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                The old confusing terminology again, just like "crank" it means different things to different people.
                You speak the same ingrish as me. I don't have any trouble understanding which tank. Same as which side of boat, when left or right is used. Over insistance at times on this forum.

Comment

No, not at all, it just makes helping much easier of you understand what is being asked, just like "reserve tank" there is no reserve tank, there is an engine mounted tank, and there is the boat mounted tank, neither of them is a reserve tank.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                    No, not at all, it just makes helping much easier of you understand what is being asked, just like "reserve tank" there is no reserve tank, there is an engine mounted tank, and there is the boat mounted tank, neither of them is a reserve tank.
                    Looked at one owner's manual; it says main oil tank and sub oil tank. I'd imagine Yamaha uses ********g names. Not arguing but if someone calls a reserve tank then I take it to mean the one not on the engine but the one in the boat somewhere (sub tank).

Comment

I did not type the above ******g , nor did I swear, it must be the forum filter.

Comment

Working...
                      X