water in lower unit d150trp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in lower unit d150trp

I recently took my D-150 TRP into the dealer to have a waterpump and impeller replaced. I was called by the mechanic, and was told when he drained the lower unit only water and no oil drained out. I ran the motor last week and did not have any problems. Is there any way the lower unit could run at 5500 RPMs with only water in the lower unit.. Would Ihave not seen water dripping from the seal or oil..? I flush the motor after every trip. I do not know if it was fresh or saltwater in the lower unit. He said there was som metal on the plug.. And I would need a rebuild.. Any ideas or thoughts.?

Andy

Pull the drain plug and look for yourself? If the gear oil is milky, then yes you are getting some water in there. If you still see metal shavings on the drainplug magnet it's probably worth it to pull it apart and inspect everything. I use Mobil One synthetic gear oil in my lower units. Doesn't mix with water. The drive shaft seal under the water pump is notorious for leaking water into the lower unit. Have you seen evidence of gear oil dripping from the lower unit?

Mike

Comment

no evidence of water or oil coming from the lower unit. If the seal was leaking how long would it take to fill the entire lower unit with water and flush out the oil..? just sounds strange to me.. I have dealt with this dealer for years so I do trust the mechanic.. its not about that.. I just hope I did not damage the lower unit too bad.....

Comment

Working...
      X