06 Yamaha F-115 Trim/Tilt issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 Yamaha F-115 Trim/Tilt issue

So I was coming in the other day from pulling my crab/shrimp pots and tried to trim my motor up a little and all it did was click so I got to the dock and tried the switch on the motor and all it did was click so I gently pulled the boat and tried to get the screw loosened to manually tilt the engine up for the ride home and couldn't get it to budge so I carefully made my way home on the back roads. now at home I researched the problem and concluded the trim relay went bad which sucks as its $250 so I ordered one anyhow and installed it today and when I hit the switch on the motor the engine tilted up about 2" then quit and now it just clicks again in both directions.

I took both the trim wires off the relay and attached them to a battery source and the tilt motor goes in both directions just fine so now I'm thinking I have something else wrong thats killing the relay or got a bad relay from the part store......Thoughts ??

T/T

First ck for full voltage 12.6 and then ck for voltage drop and good ground..I have seen many times on a motor with little use the trim motor gets some bad spot on the commuter in the motor itself..also try this (works) have someone hold the trim swich while lightly tapping the motor with plastic end of a screw driver..once it starts,, run it up and down a few times...

Comment

Check all the connectors all the way back to battery.Relay is pulling in but not enough voltage to operate the motor. Bad connection somewhere.

Comment

I have cleaned all the connections and charged the batteries, here is what I have going on.

When I put my multimeter black to the block and red to the top right pole on the relay (wire to make the TT tilt up) and depress the switch on the side of the motor I get 12.6 volts in both directions meaning the switch causes both the top and bottom right poles on the relay to be energized and from what I have read the relay is grounded until the switch is depressed weather at the helm or on the motor and pressed in the up position energizes the top pole leaving the bottom pole grounded to run the TT motor up and vice versa for going down but I get both poles energized when the switch is pressed in either direction at the same time !!

Thank You guys for your ideas, fluid is full also !!

Comment

Bad or loose corroded cable.? Try jumping with a battery directly to the terminal and see if it moves.

Comment

Originally posted by Nautical View Post
            Bad or loose corroded cable.? Try jumping with a battery directly to the terminal and see if it moves.
            Already past all that. it works fine in both directions when hooked directly to a battery as I stated above.

My problem is both poles on the relay are energized when the switch is depressed one is supposed to stay grounded and the other energized to run the TT motor I believe, is that right, if so I have another bad relay !!

EDIT: OK The TT motor has 2 wires a blue for tilt up and green for tilt down, when I hook up both wires to the relay properly all I get is a click, when I unhook one of these wires and hold it to a ground the TT motor works properly so I am thinking the relay is not providing the proper ground to allow the TT to work ?? Thoughts ??

Another thing is when I hook both the green and blue TT wires to the relay I have continuity between the positive and negative and I know that isn't right !!
            Last edited by robodad.; 08-12-2015, 06:19 PM.

Comment

"one is supposed to stay grounded and the other energized to run the TT motor I believe, is that right, "

yes.

There are two coils in the relay

when you press up, the blue control lead becomes hot to energize it's coil
              press down, the green control lead becomes hot to energize its coil

in either case, the coil then moves one motor lead from ground to hot

you are saying both coils in the relay are activating simultaneously?

sounds like the control wires are shorted together

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                "one is supposed to stay grounded and the other energized to run the TT motor I believe, is that right, "

yes.

There are two coils in the relay

when you press up, the blue control lead becomes hot to energize it's coil
                press down, the green control lead becomes hot to energize its coil

in either case, the coil then moves one motor lead from ground to hot

you are saying both coils in the relay are activating simultaneously?

sounds like the control wires are shorted together
                You got it, when I press the switch on the side of the motor both the blue and green wires that go to the TT motor get 12.6 volts and the relay just clicks.

Thank You all for your help in this matter but I have taken the boat to the shop to have the pro's fix it, I couldn't figure it out quickly and the more I went in circles with it the pister I got !! so I'll post up here what they find out in a few days I hope !!

Comment

when testing place one meter lead on the 10Ga blue, the other on the 10Ga green.
                  hit it up and you will or should see about 12v,leaving the meter leads the same hit it down, you should see the same but reversed polarity voltage.

Comment

Done deal, took it to the shop as I was getting no where and they said I had a loose wire in the helm control, I guess I missed that when I had it apart testing it, anyhow thank You all for the replies !!

Comment

I call BS
                      the 12V power at the engine has nothing to do with the helm.
                      glad its fixed.
                      the pan switch and the helm switch have different power circuits and operating circuits.

Comment

I had exact same problem

I tested for hours and had same symptoms and finally decided to look at trim switch on binnacle I found Pinched wires where the handle cover screws are The green was squashed flat at the screw hole so my thoughts are it shorted to the control lever and blew the fuse . I learned a lesson when troubleshooting.....there are 2 trim switches. If the trim has problem disconnect one switch. To remove it from having a chance to affect the system then try disconnecting the other one separate. I would have found the problem in 15 minutes by. Eliminating either trim switch. Imagine hat the wire in the binnacle control was pinched from NEW. 20 yipears ago and just stranded me last week. Lucky that I could jump the starter with my fishingl pliers and KNOW Now my 2stroke 115 will run with a blown fuse.....I was 25 miles out in the backcountry. The RPM. Reduction mode was there ,having the blown fuse so the 46 minute ride out. Was a 3 1/2 hour ride back A learning curve and thankfully Yamahas design allows motor to run with popped fuse or my Tow in bill would probably have been 400$.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The clue would have been in the "strength" or "positiveness" of the relay "clicks".
                          If they were "hard" and no go, then the contacts within the relay are suspect. If "weak" then the supply/earth has unacceptable resistance somewhere to the relay(s) (i.e. loose/ dirty connection or frayed/damaged/corroded thinning wires).

Comment

Originally posted by goodride View Post
                            I tested for hours and had same symptoms and finally decided to look at trim switch on binnacle I found Pinched wires where the handle cover screws are The green was squashed flat at the screw hole so my thoughts are it shorted to the control lever and blew the fuse . I learned a lesson when troubleshooting.....there are 2 trim switches. If the trim has problem disconnect one switch. To remove it from having a chance to affect the system then try disconnecting the other one separate. I would have found the problem in 15 minutes by. Eliminating either trim switch. Imagine hat the wire in the binnacle control was pinched from NEW. 20 yipears ago and just stranded me last week. Lucky that I could jump the starter with my fishingl pliers and KNOW Now my 2stroke 115 will run with a blown fuse.....I was 25 miles out in the backcountry. The RPM. Reduction mode was there ,having the blown fuse so the 46 minute ride out. Was a 3 1/2 hour ride back A learning curve and thankfully Yamahas design allows motor to run with popped fuse or my Tow in bill would probably have been 400$.
                            Always helps to know as much about your engine (and rig) and have the ability to "work around" in the event something goes wrong.
                            I have known people lacking in the IQ department, that they simply would have jumped out of the boat if it had stopped/not started!!

Comment

Update on trim problem blowing main fuse. I bought new Yamaha binnacle trim switch. Plugged in the three bullet connectors and ALLlGOOD Now Lesson learned. When troubleshooting disconnect trim switches one at a time. Yamaha. Fixed. Weather clearing. Going. Boating
                              Thanks for this website helping us to find the cure to our engine problem

Joel
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X