No announcement yet.

trim and tilt problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda weird for that brush to break in that direction..

Did they show excess wear and can you tell(by any markings, etc), if the brush was broke before you got the cover off?

In any case, if you don't see anything else wrong with the unit, no water intrusion, etc, I think it'd be cheaper in the end to replace the brushes.

Brushes wear out, yours would now be new..

You KNOW what you have, not buying someone else's possible headache.

$319.00 on this site (part #2) for an entire new electric motor...

$135.00 for both brushes.

Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-23-2015, 10:44 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

When I had a close look at the design of the motor, went to a local hardware store that keeps a stuff like brushes, machinary parts, etc and bought a set of brushes the right size with a spring on the bottom instead of a wire, then after a bit of modding and soldering replaced broken brush and put all together again. its working now but is still stalling, am thinking now of bypassing the bimetal circuit in the motor. what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by wellman1 View Post
        When I had a close look at the design of the motor, went to a local hardware store that keeps a stuff like brushes, machinary parts, etc and bought a set of brushes the right size with a spring on the bottom instead of a wire, then after a bit of modding and soldering replaced broken brush and put all together again. its working now but is still stalling, am thinking now of bypassing the bimetal circuit in the motor. what do you think?
        I'm hesitant to say one way or the other (as IDK)

I suspect, you may have nothing to loose at this point,doing that momentarily. And then longer if it works..

It shouldn't overheat and turn off doing a couple of trims up and down...

If it was mine, I'd try it, but again, IDK...

**Just curious, how do the windings look? Are you able to test them?
        Scott

Comment

the windings, armature, and commutator all look fine. could it be that the trim and tilt mechanism is to stiff to move and putting too much pressure on the motor. anyway will try bypassing bimetal breaker and see what happens, it can,t get much worse than it is.

Comment

I've never heard of (doesn't mean it can't happen) the hydraulics themselves "stiffening up".

They usually leak externally and internally and the motor pump runs but there's no pressure(or little) to raise the engine, or it just leaks down, which you have neither...

NOTE;

With the hydraulic RELEASE SCREW (part #52) opened, you should be able to MANUALLY LIFT and gravity will drop the engine down. You should rule that out for any binding.
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-23-2015, 05:08 PM.
            Scott

Comment

Brush motors can be tested with proper test equipment.
              Hard to say what problems are there over the web

Comment

Working...
              X