Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad oil leak from where?

98 Yamaha 200 HP SWS II Carb, approx 940 hours

On our way back in the other day my strb engine stalled and it has never done that before. At low RPM's 1-2K very rough idle and was bogging as the RPM's picked up the engine would perform normal until brought back to idle and stall again. I first thought a fuel or spark problem. I went back to take a look and there is an oil slick around the mid section and noticed the mess in the pics below, lots of dirty hot oil. I took the cowling off expecting to see more and locate the leak, but pan is clean and dry. I started per-mixing a few years ago after losing a oil pump so the main oil tank is dry and sealed off.

Does anyone have a clue where the oil can be coming from? My only guess is the lower crank seal.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ctime260; 07-22-2015, 12:35 PM. Reason: no response

anyone?

bump

Comment

Can you see the area where the crank comes out of the block?

If so peek in there and also (if accessible), crank up the engine, (on muffs/water) and perhaps spray some soapy water looking for bubbles(as you would do looking for a hole in a tire).

How do your spark plugs look? Is the lowest cylinder (spark plug) any lighter/leaner than the rest?
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks, I am going to have her on a work rack tomorrow and will check plugs, compression and run on the hose to locate the leak. It shouldn't be hard to find.

Comment

Update
          I checked the compression a little low but all close 100-110 PSI, in December they were 115-120 maybe my gauge is off. The plugs looked good and the same. I removed the lower cowl put the muffs om and the engine started right up, sounded good, no knocks pings or any strange sounds. After a few minutes dirty oil/gas started dripping out from below the steering arm to the mid section. Still no oil in the pan.

Comment

I gather you weren't able to find specifically where its leaking from?

Perhaps some brake cleaner in the area, let it dry, then run it again.

Perhaps a gasket /seal gone bad(ie reed valve gasket, or ? )
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
            X