T8 power tilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T8 power tilt

I have a 2003 yamaha T8 with power tilt does anyone know what way the seal for the up and down relief valve faces Thanks dkt60012

Cardinal rule... always take notes and/or pics as you disassemble.

It's sometimes visible in parts breakdowns - check your service manual or use the link at the top of this page.

BUT... springs face the liquid you want to keep out. In this case, you want to keep sea water out.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

The rubber seal has two different sides to it I know where it goes not sure which way to face the seal any help would be great Thanks dkt60012

Comment

Originally posted by dkt60012 View Post
        The rubber seal has two different sides to it I know where it goes not sure which way to face the seal any help would be great Thanks dkt60012
        You can't see the spring?

The cardinal rule isn't just about WHERE to put it back in, but also how to ORIENT it.

Comment

It is clearly shown in your Yamaha service manual. Page 55. Do you not see it?

Comment

Oh, did you check the other source mentioned above?

Comment

I am still trying to understand what an up and down relief valve is

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I am still trying to understand what an up and down relief valve is
                  One for up pressure relief and one for down pressure relief. If and when someone decides not to release the up or down trim button when the motor is fully up or down.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe learned something new today.

is 10 also considered the down relief valve?

Comment

Thanks Boscoe learned something new today.

is 10 also considered the down relief valve?
                      Boscoe did. Learn something knew today. Getting asked questions and then trying to find answers is a great way to learn for me.

10 is not the down relief valve. 10 is called a protection valve.

Here is the down relief valve.

Comment

Pretty clever to me what man has devised in the way of things mechanical.

Comment

I am very confused now, how can #9 be the up and down relief valve and open at different pressures depending on up or down direction?

looking at it harder, it seems #9 up relief valve is not in the same position/ location as the #9 down relief valve,
                          so it is not the same valve after all
                          kind of confusing to me
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 01-19-2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

The down relief valve is shown in a different position than the up relief valve. Is this any better?

Comment

I am very confused now, how can #9 be the up and down relief valve and open at different pressures depending on up or down direction?

looking at it harder, it seems #9 up relief valve is not in the same position/ location as the #9 down relief valve,
                              so it is not the same valve after all
                              kind of confusing to me
                              Is this any better? Two relief valves. Different locations. When either sees too much pressure the hydraulic pressure will act against the spring pressure on the valve and cause the valve to open.

Comment

Working...
                              X