Threebond 1322 and Loctite 572

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threebond 1322 and Loctite 572

My F70 manual says to use "Threebond 1322" on the cylinder head anode screws and "Loctite 572" on the lower unit screws holding it on.

But those don't seem to be readily available...only for a ton of money on shady looking sites.

Does anyone know the equivalent that's available for those?

Also, it says to put "gasket maker" around the lip/edge of the lower unit when it goes back on. Will any old gasket maker do? I have an old tube lying around.

Comment

From Yamaha's "Marine Technical Guide"

"Note: Apply a medium-strength thread locking material ... before installation – ThreeBond 1322, Loctite® 242 (blue), or equivalent."

Loctite 572 is, per Henkel, intended for sealing pipe thread fittings - so a high-tech "pipe dope with PTFE"

While there are no doubt many applications requiring 'special' sealants
      (nuclear reactors, and space shuttle booster rockets come to mind)
      IMO your F70 is not in that category.

You want to prevent bolts from vibrating out,
      so perhaps blue loctite, in a 'dry' setting;
      and/or exclude water to prevent corrosion and 'seized' bolts -
      so waterproof grease, or ordinary white PTFE pipe dope,
      is more than adequate.

Comment

Lol. Cool, thanks. I guess that goes for the gasket maker on the lower unit lip too? Just any old gasket maker?

Comment

Right, the 'GM' legend on the SM diagrams for the lower unit surface.

I haven't thought about that in awhile,
          and I really don't know what to make of it.
          IIRC it started showing up in Service Manuals around 2008.

It makes no sense,
          there would be no point applying anything there,
          there is nothing to seal in or out.

AFAIK, no one actually puts a 'substance' on that surface,
          I've never seen or heard of a motor coming from the factory with anything there

Comment

Ok, thanks for all the help and info!

Comment

Maybe there is a belief that the parts “stick” together better, and perhaps stops the mating surfaces from corrosion as water won’t sit there in the crease.

Comment

My local Yamaha service manager says that don't put anything at all on the surface that has the gasket-maker indicated. And that they use grease for anything that calls for Loctite 572 or Threebond 1322.

Comment

Originally posted by chartscharts View Post
                  My local Yamaha service manager says that don't put anything at all on the surface that has the gasket-maker indicated. And that they use grease for anything that calls for Loctite 572 or Threebond 1322.
                  I don’t mess with that stuff either. Little bit of grease on bolts that live in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                    From Yamaha's "Marine Technical Guide"

"Note: Apply a medium-strength thread locking material ... before installation – ThreeBond 1322, Loctite® 242 (blue), or equivalent."

Loctite 572 is, per Henkel, intended for sealing pipe thread fittings - so a high-tech "pipe dope with PTFE"

While there are no doubt many applications requiring 'special' sealants
                    (nuclear reactors, and space shuttle booster rockets come to mind)
                    IMO your F70 is not in that category.

You want to prevent bolts from vibrating out,
                    so perhaps blue loctite, in a 'dry' setting;
                    and/or exclude water to prevent corrosion and 'seized' bolts -
                    so waterproof grease, or ordinary white PTFE pipe dope,
                    is more than adequate.

Perfectly said Fairdeal....

Comment

You can buy Locktite 572 from McMaster Karr or Fastenal. One tube is $36.00 and it works well if you torque to spec. Bolts always come out and it seals the threads and prevents corrosion. Grease will work. But the LT 572 is the best and OEM rated. The Threebond is just a medium strength Locktite (272 works). Most mechanics apply LT272 to lower unit bolts. I use the 572 and it has served me well. Great for the water pump bolts and the fastening bolts for the lower unit. Use what you want. You will never go wrong using the manual specs in my opinion. If you use Locktite, clean the bolt threads and mating threads properly. Then torque to spec. properly or a snug fit if you know how to tighten properly. I always use a Snap On ATECH and torque to spec. to ensure the steel bolts are not over/under tightened in the aluminum housing and use the manual specified lubricants for the specified torque spec. Not saying that is the only way to go. The more experienced members here have the knowledge and experience to get the job done with grease and substitutes. Question is.....do you have that skill set?

Comment

Working...
                      X