Vibration at low RPM's 2006 F250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration at low RPM's 2006 F250

I thought I'd post this to get your opinion.

I run twin F250's (model TXR's, 2006). They are just over 2,400 hours now.

One of them was noticeably vibrating at idle and low speed (under 1,000 RPM's).

Up at cruising speed (4,400 RPM's) I couldn't notice any vibration and the engines always ran great at this speed.

I phoned my Yamaha Mechanic (who moved out of the area) as to what could be causing the vibration.
    He felt it was related to fuel delivery or spark Vs. my thinking of a slightly bent prop or driveshaft since I ran over a large ocean Sunfish a while back.

So I went about the following:
    1. Changed fuel filters (big Blue 10micron ones) & Checked fuel for water. Not a drop in a clear container. And red ring on filter under the hood was fine.
    2. Swapped the coils. 6 from the smooth engine were swapped with the 6 on the vibrating engine.
    3. Installed new Fuel Injectors (previous ones had 964 hours on them).

The above 3 seemed to have no effect. Vibration still present.

Then I installed new spark plugs being careful to gap them correctly (1.0mm) and torque them (18-20#).
    The plugs only had 230 hours on them but this fixed my vibration problem. Now both engines idle smooth.
    I have always gotten close to 400 hours on my spark plugs and the ones with 230 hours all looked fine to me.
    I measured the gap on the plugs I removed and a few of them had a gap of 1.1mm Vs. 1.0mm. All looked uniformly okay.

No idea why or how a spark plug could suddenly go bad on me.
    Have you ever heard of this? Thanks...
    Grady-White 330 Express

Maybe a very small crack in center electrode insulator….not very common but still a possibility…

Comment

yep, a crack in the porcelain insulator will allow spark to jump in places not in the place it should so it ignites the fuel in cylinder.

higher RPMs make it harder to feel a miss

back in the 70s while working at a car dealership, I found several brand-new spark plugs that were bad.
      Not sure what would cause a working plug to crack, but heat cycling could promote a minor imperfection and cause a crack I guess
      Last edited by 99yam40; 12-31-2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

In the olden days plugs used to feature highly on why an engine wouldn’t run. That usually first appears as difficult starting. This running OK most revs is unusual but I guess plugs can go bad and not last the life of the engine; maintenance schedules specify changing plugs at certain intervals.
        I wonder why you suspected the propellor but you didn’t seem to follow up on that?

Comment

On my F150 (2006), I had a high RPM misfire that came and went(mostly came).

Super low hours (original plugs), shop said change the spark plugs...

Did that, runs great! The old plugs still looked brand new....
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
            In the olden days plugs used to feature highly on why an engine wouldn’t run. That usually first appears as difficult starting. This running OK most revs is unusual but I guess plugs can go bad and not last the life of the engine; maintenance schedules specify changing plugs at certain intervals.
            I wonder why you suspected the propellor but you didn’t seem to follow up on that?
            I examined my propeller very closely and didn't see anything obvious.
            That's why I called my Yamaha Guy and he pointed me in the right direction.

Thank you to all for your opinions on this and Happy New Year to all!
            Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Working...
            X