Lower unit oil 2005 yamaha 50 four stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit oil 2005 yamaha 50 four stroke

Hello all, new here! Anyway I just changed my lower unit oil after the first 10 hours of use, before I put it back in the water I have a question. I read the manual and it called for " hypoid 90" oil. I could not find that so I used Lubrimatic lower unit oil labeled 80w90 it said it was for all " modern outboards and sterndrives" And listed yamaha on there. Anyway is this ok? of should I try and find the one that says "hypoid 90" Thank you! I dont want to run the boat again without knowing if this is right or not.

Yes, Lubrimatic is Ok gear lube. Its a hypoid gear lube as well. Hypoid gears have spiral teeth that are curved and oblique, instead of just straight cut. Most driveline gearsets are like that. Your car or truck would be the same way. Personally I use Mobil One synthetic gear lube in my lower unit. You can find it at most autoparts stores. I have found that it stands up to the lower unit torture better than any conventional gear lube, and the synthetics don't mix with water. In the past when I've used Lubrimatic I found that it smelled burnt when I changed it after 100 hours or so. I don't find that with the synthetics.

Mike...... Miami, FL

Comment

Lower unit oil synthetic gear lube ???

are you saying that by using synthetic gear lube it would be better if you had a seal leak. Since with oil based lube oil it mixes and ends up milk like and does very little lubricating? Could you explain please.

Comment

Working...
      X