1987 Yamaha 9.9 not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Yamaha 9.9 not starting

Hey guys, so I just got a 1987 ( I think ) Yamaha FT9.9ELH outboard motor. I have been trying to get it running and so far have been unsuccessful. The engine will turn over no problem and will try to start with the help of some ether. I have replaced the fuel lines and connectors. My thinking is maybe it is the fuel pump and or filter. Am I on the right track?

usually I start with compression test or leak down test, then spark test, timing, and fuel pump pressure/vacuum

Comment

+1 ^^^ but with the help of ether, that point towards a fuel (or lack of) issue.

Carbs like to clog up with crappy gas nowadays. Especially if it sat for awhile.

Once you test the rest, I'd be pulling the main and idle jets out of the carb and visually check them.

You MUST be able to see thru them...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have an '01 F9.9 and have had issues as well. Like Townsend said, the crap ethanol gas our wonderful government fools force upon us cause small engines major problems. Take the carb apart and clean it. I harvest wire threads from my garage door spring cable from the extra at the end and it works great to clean those tiny jet holes. I keep some starting fluid in my jon boat to save my shoulder if the thing hasn't been run in a while.
        Good luck

Comment

Yeah I think the person I got the motor from didnt have a clue about regular maintenance. Cleaning the carb is definitely happening.

I did disconnect the fuel line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb and cycled the engine for a second to see if I would get any fuel, but got nothing. I put a new fuel filter. Do the fuel pumps in these motors go bad? Do I have to completely replace it or is it something that can be fixed?

Comment

Fuel pumps do go bad (the diaphragm) start to leak and don't work.

You can usually rebuild them or at least open it up and look for any leaky diaphragm.

If you want, for now, hook up a gravity feed fuel tank to the carb directly(I use an old lawn mower fuel tank with an on/off valve). Have the tank higher than the carb and let gravity fill the carb.

If it cranks up, you likely have a fuel pump, otherwise fuel issue.

If the carb is clogged up(most likely) it still won't run. IMO, clean the carb(can't hurt) by at least pulling the jets,examining, etc.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Primer bulb should push fuel past the pump into the carb bowl filling it.
              The motor should fire up and run until the bowl is low on fuel.

Pump will not keep motor from starting

Comment

Working...
              X