Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F60 HB (2020) has started stalling at Idle speeds. Help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F60 HB (2020) has started stalling at Idle speeds. Help please!

Hi legends,

Stu here from Australia - great site with lots of cool info so hoping that some of you experts can help me out in getting my outboard back to working like it should be.

Note when I say low speed it is in T-Roll-ing mode - web site does not like that word :-)

So I purchased this engine brand new in May 2020 and it has got 200 Hours up so far - serviced at 30 Hrs then 130. Has run perfectly until recently when it just died while idling along at 660-650 rpm - just ran a little rough then died.

Found that the primer bulb was soft so pumped it up and the motor started and reved up no worries - back into low speed then it ran for maybe 5-10 mins then died again. Did this consistently with re-priming then running - I could rev the motor up and it ran perfectly getting me home.

Booked it in with the dealer and they had it "fixed" that day.

Their diagnosis was that the Needle valve in the VST was sticking ( I think that's what it was) and that this was a fuel issue so its a chargeable job i.e. 1 Hour @$110. They said no warranty issue as Yamaha would say its a fuel problem. Fair enough I spose - however I go through 1/2 a tank (15L or so) every weekend and have done since I bought it so the old story about bad fuel does not really make sense.

OK so they agreed not to charge me which was nice.

Off I went to try her out and guess what - the same thing happened after a few hours of running high and low revs.

This time I noticed that after re-priming and restarting then going up to 5000RPM the motor ran for maybe 10 secs then cut out briefly then ran again all the way home. ( I did not need to restart it it just went from 5000 RPM to 2000RPM in an instant).

Go home and completely emptied my fuel tank - took the tank filter out and checked everything was spotless. Got new fuel.

Put the motor in the water drum and ran at idle for about 30 mins no issue.

Went again this weekend and the same thing happened. Ran for a few hours then after a long slow run it died again - re-prime - dies again etc .

Rev up to 4000 RPM while out of gear - running slightly rough then smooth.

Idles again - died - revd up to head home and it cut out after 5 Secs like before and then back up to high revs - again ran fine until I got back to the boat ramp.

Sorry about the long story but here I am waiting for a call back from the dealer and I thought I would get your ideas about what it could be - I did see a very relevant post from someone that identified that the Solenoid Valve sensors were out of adjustment which caused the VST to have limited venting causing back pressure in the VST = no fuel flow from the low pressure fuel pump.

Any other thoughts - I am a bit worried that the Dealer is just going to say "Bad fuel" and I just keep handing over $$$. As its also 1 Hours drive and a 3 week wait for service slots this could take all summer to get sorted.

Thanks for any assistance/advice.

I would prime with bulb and then drain VST to measure how much fuel comes out.
    then re-prime with bulb and run until it dies, and then drain VST and measure the fuel that comes out to see if the VST is not staying full

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      I would prime with bulb and then drain VST to measure how much fuel comes out.
      then re-prime with bulb and run until it dies, and then drain VST and measure the fuel that comes out to see if the VST is not staying full
      Question - when the motor is running would the bulb be hard or soft?

Thanks for that, just an update based on some more testing I have done today with the motor in a drum.

Started and ran at idle
      ran for 1 hr and 35 mins
      Dies
      Primed Bulb
      Started
      Ran for a few minutes at idle then died.
      re-primed and started - ran at 4000RPM for 20 seconds
      Back to Idle - died
      Restarted - died immediately....

Talking to service agent again on Monday to see what the next plan is.

Thanks

Stu

Comment

the bulb is on the suction side so it will not be firm

Comment

Problem solved.....

Dealer found a "stone" in the Fuel Cooler. Apparently it blocks it then it takes an hour of idle running for the fuel to evaporate.

Good news is that they did not charge me. How something like that could get there is a wonder to me. I suspect it has been there since the motor was built.

Cheers

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Ubique01 View Post
            Problem solved.....

Dealer found a "stone" in the Fuel Cooler. Apparently it blocks it then it takes an hour of idle running for the fuel to evaporate.

Good news is that they did not charge me. How something like that could get there is a wonder to me. I suspect it has been there since the motor was built.

Cheers

Stu
            thanks for the update,

I do hope your motor is fixed, but I see no way a motor could idle for an hour on just the fuel in the VST

Comment

Working...
            X